Confused Messages in Forum

Any other questions about the software?

Confused Messages in Forum

Postby gzkbbz » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:39 pm

Many people will be moving to the new !TB sky box from the original Thomson HD units. The forum is full of confused messages as to if this is possible and when it should be done that is before or after matching the new box with the existing sky card from the Thomson unit. Can someone give a definitive ruling on this issue
gzkbbz

Re: Confused Messages in Forum

Postby Richard423 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:46 pm

I would also be interested in the answer. My box is a DRX890.

I tried this a couple of days ago:
METHOD
Copied my Thomson HD recording to a WD 1TB (recommended) drive using Copy+ 1.2.0.8.
Put the WD drive into the DRX890.
There were no recording listed after boot.

TWO POSSIBLE MISTAKES
1. I had forced a software update on the new DRX890, before pairing my viewing card.
2. My Thomson HD box had Anytime disabled, but the DRX890 had Anytime enabled. I wonder whther the DRX890 formatted an Anytime partition on the WD drive which removed the recordings.

Thanks for your help.
Richard423

Postby kos129 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:25 am

Unfortunately it not longer seems to be possible to copy from Thompson boxes to the other HD boxes, as you have experienced all of the original recordings 'disappear' as far as the new box is concerned (from other posts I have seen the recordings are still there, the new box just ignores them). It seems as though sky have removed the code that converted from the pre-darwin format in a recent firmware update, preventing this method from working. Just to summarise, it is no longer possible to copy from a legacy device (Sky+ and Sky+ HD Thompson) to a darwin device (all other HD boxes) or vice verse (legacy -> legacy and darwin -> darwin do work however).

The only way for this to ever work in the future would be to convert the database format during the copy, which could bring in a fair few problems (Sky tend to vary the format between hardware and software versions, so any software that did this would have to keep up with Sky's updates).
kos129

Postby Richard423 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:46 am

Thanks for the detailed answer.

I have performed a full system reset from the DRX890's hidden menu.
I assume that this will reformat the drive and reclaim the space taken up by the "invisible" recordings.
Richard423

Postby kos129 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:31 pm

Yes, a full system reset will fully reformat the drive and will remove any stray recordings.
kos129

Postby Richard423 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:37 am

Great! Thanks for your help.
Richard423

Return to Copy+ General Support