Help with drive upgrade

Tips on changing them - what's the easiest way, how to make your fans quiet, etc?

Help with drive upgrade

Postby bikingfraz » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:40 pm

Background: I was no longer able to access any recordings or programs in anytime.
I decided to inspect what was on the hard drive and found that all of the recordings and anytime programs were still there.
I made a backup of all of the recordings and anytime programs onto my pc using copy+.
I got a new hard drive and transferred all of the recordings and anytime programs onto it from the backup using copy+.
I tried the new hard drive in the sky box but it would not start up (the red light turned on and button presses on my remote control make another LED light up but nothing more).
I tried the old hard drive in the sky box and it started.
I tried the new hard drive in the sky box using an external power supply to check that the new hard drive did not require too much power for the sky box. The sky box still would not start.
I thought perhaps copying the programs from a backup, rather than directly from the original hard drive might be an issue so I want to attempt to copy directly from the hard drive. The reason I did not do so in the first place is because I didn't have enough power cables in my pc, I've since got a splitter.

I deleted the volume on the new hard drive so I could start afresh.
I then went to initialise the hard drive but was unable as the option was not available, so I created a new volume and tried to reformat but I cant because it is write protected, I think this is to do with the XTVFS read only driver.

So how do I start from scratch with the new hard drive now that I have deleted the volume?
Should copying the recordings from a backup prevent the hard drive from allowing the box to start up?
bikingfraz

Re: Help with drive upgrade

Postby bikingfraz » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:49 pm

It's a Thompson HD box, I believe first generation and the new hard drive is this one:

750GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 3.5" Hard Disk Drive ST3750528AS

Hard Disk:
Drive Interface SATA 3Gb/s
Disk Size 3.5 Inches
Disk Capacity 750 GB
Disk Speed 7200 RPM
Data Buffer/RAM 32 MB
Bytes per Sector 512

Performance:
Data Transfer Rates 300 MB/s
Average Seek Time Read: 8.5ms • Write: 9.5 ms
Average Latency 4.17 ms

Electrical:
Power Requirement Spin Up (Max) 9.4 Watts
Power Requirement Idle (Ready) 5.0 Watts

Environmental:
Acoustics (Seek Mode) 2.7 dB
Acoustics (Idle Mode) 2.5 dB
Operating Temperature 0 to 60 °C
Non Operating Temperature -40 to 70 °C
Shock (Operating) 70Gs for 2ms
Shock (Non Operating) 300Gs for 1ms

Physical:
Form Factor Hard Disk Drive
Enclosure type Internal
Width 10.16 cm
Depth 14.69 cm
Height 2.61 cm
Weight 0.64 kg
Barcode 9858594547637
bikingfraz

Postby bikingfraz » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:34 pm

Ok so it turns out you don't need to reinitalise a disk when you delete it's only partition. I'm now copying directly from the old disk to the new disk. Hopefully it will work this time.
bikingfraz

Postby bikingfraz » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:46 pm

I've done the copy and installed the new hard drive into the sky box, it still doesn't start up. Any ideas what the problem might be? I'm guessing the new hard drive is incompatible but I can't see why.
bikingfraz

Return to General HDD replacement discussion