Pace Sky+HD (9F3002) best current 1TB HDD?

Which replacement drives can you use and which do people recommend?

Pace Sky+HD (9F3002) best current 1TB HDD?

Postby PaceLover75 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:43 pm

Hi,

I have been lurking around here for quite some time and thought it's time to take the plunge and swap my 300Gb HDD to a 1TB drive. Looking at past comments it seems like HDD change all the time with the manufacturers so I thought I'd ask which one to get at the moment OR are there specific specs I should look after if a specific model is not available (I'm going to France to get the HD at my parents place as they are the ones with the Sky Box)? Also, it has to be spot on as they (my old folks) can't start doing what I'm about to do for them in my absence :(

I have been thinking of a 1TB drive...

So, I'm using a Mac which I can start up natively in XP which I'm obviously is going to do. Now, the XP partition is only set to 5GB as I hardly ever use WinXP so will this have any impact on using Copy+? I'm going to copy over Sky Data from the current SKY box HD to the new (not yet bought) hard disk but only have one USB caddy. Do I have to fork out extra cash on another caddy for this one ops only?

Any pointers are highly appreciated.

Cheerio... :-)
PaceLover75

Re: Pace Sky+HD (9F3002) best current 1TB HDD?

Postby pcbbc » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:23 pm

PaceLover75 wrote:I have been lurking around here for quite some time and thought it's time to take the plunge and swap my 300Gb HDD to a 1TB drive. Looking at past comments it seems like HDD change all the time with the manufacturers so I thought I'd ask which one to get at the moment OR are there specific specs I should look after if a specific model is not available (I'm going to France to get the HD at my parents place as they are the ones with the Sky Box)? Also, it has to be spot on as they (my old folks) can't start doing what I'm about to do for them in my absence :(
Same make and model series as the OEM supplied drive is always a good bet.
Other than that, pick one the is rated for AV or CE use as they are optimised for PVRs. Also search on the DigitalSpy forums and here for the model number to check for potential problems. Remember that a disk that works in one make of box is not necessarily guaranteed to work in another.

So, I'm using a Mac which I can start up natively in XP which I'm obviously is going to do. Now, the XP partition is only set to 5GB as I hardly ever use WinXP so will this have any impact on using Copy+? I'm going to copy over Sky Data from the current SKY box HD to the new (not yet bought) hard disk but only have one USB caddy. Do I have to fork out extra cash on another caddy for this one ops only?
I forget how big an image of an empty disk is. It certainly isn't over 5GB, so you should be okay.

Please remember though that Copy+ isn't currently compatible with the Darwin EPG update that is being rolled out to HD boxes.
So if you have that on your HD box, you are out of luck at the moment.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Re: Pace Sky+HD (9F3002) best current 1TB HDD?

Postby PaceLover75 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:45 pm

pcbbc wrote:Please remember though that Copy+ isn't currently compatible with the Darwin EPG update that is being rolled out to HD boxes.
So if you have that on your HD box, you are out of luck at the moment.

Very good point. Thanks for the heads up :D

Also, thanks a mill for the pointer towards the HDD :-)
PaceLover75

Return to HDD Compatibility & Reviews