2TB in Amstrad DRX890 with Darwin, some questions

Any other questions about the software?

2TB in Amstrad DRX890 with Darwin, some questions

Postby Modeman » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:12 pm

Hi all,

I just got my new Amstrad Sky+HD box and wanted to transfer some recordings from my old Thompson Sky+ box. I also thought it would be a good opportunity to upgrade to a larger disk at the same time. I had a 2TB Western Digi (wd20eads) handy so I connected the drives up and used copy+ and it all seemed happy. It did complain about not being able to lock one of the drives during the conversion phase, but I managed to do that seperately afterwards.

So I put the new 2TB drive into my Sky+HD box but it didn't show any recordings at all. I tried a planner rebulid, and I could hear it doing plenty, but still no recordings after it finished.

It's not the end of the world that they didn't come across, but it would have been handy. From info on this forum, I'm pretty sure the box is a Darwin, could that be the issue here?

Also, I know there were some compatibility issues with drives bigger than 1TB on pre-darwin boxes. Will I be ok with the full 2TB in this box do you think?

If there is something obvious that I did wrong, then I'd be prepared to have another go at transferring, but there is only so much messing about with the boxes that my wife will tolerate. :)
Modeman

Re: 2TB in Amstrad DRX890 with Darwin, some questions

Postby pcbbc » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:43 pm

Unfortunately I do not believe Sky+ to Sky+HD transfers are possible any more once the destination box has Darwin.
the Sky+ and Sky+HD formats are now on diverging development branches and no longer sufficiently compatible to allow the box to convert between them.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby Modeman » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:14 am

Ahh fair enough, thanks for letting me know though. I was having some problems with the box since the upgrade anyway. Anything recorded on the planner just seemed to dissapear after an hour or so. Including programs set to record at a later date. I have done a full reset from the service menu and it seems to be ok now though.

One question though (assumign you know the answer). Will the full reset have formatted the disk to a lower capacity than 2TB?
Modeman

Postby pcbbc » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:45 pm

Modeman wrote:One question though (assumign you know the answer). Will the full reset have formatted the disk to a lower capacity than 2TB?
I don't know. With the DRX890 I suspect only 1TB.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Return to Copy+ General Support