Unknown VC2 / Endian error

Any other questions about the software?

Unknown VC2 / Endian error

Postby edg10 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:42 pm

Hi guys,

Apologies if this post should be elsewhere (and happy to move it if someone objects) but I've been trawling these forums for nigh on two days now to find the answer to my question. I think it's going to be a long-winded description with possibly a pretty quick explanation...

I tried copying my Sky+ HD drive last night (pulled from a Samsung box) by hooking up to a Vista PC via USB. I had no space on the internal drive, so decided to create an image on an external USB drive. I also installed the XTVFS drivers to be on the safe side, but admittedly hadn't disabled the anti-virus/anti-spyware on the PC.

The first copy attempt failed with the Unknown VC2 / Endian error message, but as I was downstairs at the time, I assumed this might have been something to do with the screensaver kicking in, since the external USB drive had stopped. I therefore restarted the copy process with an extension to screensaver timeout but got the same message again, so assumed it may have been an eco-power setting on the external drive (though not sure why it would power down in the middle of the transfer). This copy process finished, but I was loathe to trust it, so decided to go again.

Looking around for the error message on both these forums and Google, I managed to give myself the willies over much mention of disks being knackered even worse if they are returned to the Sky box. I then turned off all the anti-virus software and commenced another copy operation; getting up in the middle of the night to check on it, I saw the external drive was asleep again, but as soon as I pressed a key, it woke up and continued to copy from the Sky disk. No error messages as far as I am aware.

Research has uncovered the fact that the anti-virus was probably to blame for the errors and also that Copy+ has most likely fixed any such errors on the image created, so my question is this - do I need to run any repair software over the Sky disk and will I ruin it if I put it back in the box as is? I haven't yet copied the image across to the new WD 1TB I'm going to install and don't want to lose any recordings.

Appreciate any assistance with this as my room is now so covered in parts and tools it looks like a robot has had diarrohea in there. And more importantly, I'm in danger of losing face with the missus...

Cheers,
Ed
edg10

Re: Unknown VC2 / Endian error

Postby pcbbc » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:06 pm

Hi,

Sorry you've had problems. It's strange that the AV software appears to be responsible for the VC2 error message. If I read your post correctly you say that having disabled the AV this error is no longer appearing when copying? Most odd.

Which version of Copy+ are you using? You are aware that Copy+ can not currently backup disks for Sky+HD boxes that have received the "Darwin" Anytime+ EPG software?

If the backup finishes with no errors (or just VC2 warnings) I would say you are safe to continue. Are you restoring to the same disk, or to a new one?
* If restoring to the new one, do not put the old one back in the Sky box until you have confirmed the copy is working correctly!
* If you are copying back to the original, you don't have that safety net unfortunately. But if you want to make an image of your disk with the supplied tool I can check for common potential problems.

Strange about the power saving. Drives should not do that if being accessed, and Copy+ includes calls which should stop the PC hibernating mid copy.

Edit: Sorry, just reread your original post and see you are transferring to a new 1TB. So I would suggest doing that, and if it doesn't work you'll have both the image and the original drive to fall back on!
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby edg10 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:01 pm

Hi pcbbc - many thanks for your prompt response. I must say (and I'm sure everyone else would agree) that your "customer" support puts many fee-charging companies to shame - and it's great to see a forum as well supported as this one is.

I'll try another copy of the original Sky disk tonight, to another image file on the same external drive. I'll try and babysit it through and keep an eye out for any errors, but will keep the AV turned off. Regarding your surprise that the AV could be resopnsible, have I misinterpreted what I've read as AV programs corrupting the file table of the Sky disk, resulting in this particular error?

I'm using the latest version of Copy+ (downloaded Weds eve) and whilst I had read about the issues with Darwin, for some reason I assumed my box had not been updated with this (mainly because it was a Samsung, rather than one of the Amstrad 1TB+ boxes and I don't have a Sky Anytime+ subscription) - is there a way of checking this from a screen/field in Copy+, without having to reassemble the box and look on the TV?

Can I also clarify two further questions I had regarding your response - do you mean that if Copy+ has corrected any VC2 errors when creating the image, I can effectively restore this image to the original drive and it will correct that? Also, if I do not do this and simply replace the original disk in the box, will it then be ruined (or run the risk of this)? I guess I'm asking (in a long-winded way) whether the occurrence of the errors already means that the disk is affected in some way.

If the extra caddy I ordered has turned up, I'll also try doing a straight Sky-to-WD 1TB transfer and let you know what the result of that is. If all fails here, I'll certainly use your tool to provide an image - just didn't want to take up too much of your time at this early stage!

Many thanks,
Ed
edg10

Postby pcbbc » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:56 pm

edg10 wrote:Regarding your surprise that the AV could be responsible, have I misinterpreted what I've read as AV programs corrupting the file table of the Sky disk, resulting in this particular error?
Not strange that it has caused it, no.
But strange that, if I read your post correctly, it has now gone away on subsequent copies?

I'm using the latest version of Copy+ (downloaded Weds eve) and whilst I had read about the issues with Darwin, for some reason I assumed my box had not been updated with this (mainly because it was a Samsung, rather than one of the Amstrad 1TB+ boxes and I don't have a Sky Anytime+ subscription) - is there a way of checking this from a screen/field in Copy+, without having to reassemble the box and look on the TV?
Copy+ should refuse to allow a source disk which has been convert to Darwin to be selected.
It looks for the FSN_DATA folder in root, which is only present on Darwin disks.

Can I also clarify two further questions I had regarding your response - do you mean that if Copy+ has corrected any VC2 errors when creating the image, I can effectively restore this image to the original drive and it will correct that?
Yes. It should be correct in the image, and also correct in any disk created from it.
However, as I do not know exactly what corrupts disks in the first place, or what circumstances it occurs under, there is a chance that once Copy+ has created the destination disk then, whatever caused this issue on the original disk, will just cause it again on the copied one. :oops:
However I did put some subtle changes into Copy+ 1.2.0.6 with regard to the size of the partition created which was an attempt to stop this corruption (but again, as I don't know exactly what causes it, I can't say for certain this fix will have worked).

On selecting a disk with this problem as source, you should get the following message in the log file:
Code: Select all
BPB Total Sectors is xxxx, which is not a multiple of 240*63!

Can you confirm this is occurring on your disk? You should have copies of all your log files from previous copies in C:\Program Files\Copy+

Also, if I do not do this and simply replace the original disk in the box, will it then be ruined (or run the risk of this)? I guess I'm asking (in a long-winded way) whether the occurrence of the errors already means that the disk is affected in some way.
Yes. Usually this error means a mismatch between where shows are recorded on the disk, and where the box thinks they are. Usually the result of returning such a disk to a Sky box results in partial overwriting of old recordings with new ones.

If the extra caddy I ordered has turned up, I'll also try doing a straight Sky-to-WD 1TB transfer and let you know what the result of that is. If all fails here, I'll certainly use your tool to provide an image - just didn't want to take up too much of your time at this early stage!
NP - But really just taking a quick look at an image usually doesn't involve that much effort on my part. :D
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby edg10 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:28 pm

Good morning!

Right - so here's what I've found so far:
I've started copying from the original Sky disk to the same external HD with AV switched off. With only an hour and forty left, I got another VC2 error - I did notice McAfee had kicked in and started scanning. If it does that again, I'll kick it back. Restarted copy.

On the second run, the VC2 happened again and I noticed that it occurred wilst copying volume 2403 - as I didn't write this down before, I can't be 100% sure, but I think this is the same volume as the last time. I checked the list of programmes being copied and, similarly to another poster somewhere on these forums, noticed that there was no 2403 directory in my list. Assuming this is the only error (I can cope with missing one show for the sake of rebuilding and tidying the place up) and based on pcbbc's advice, I'm going to copy the image across to the new drive once it finishes in about an hour.

I guess this addresses the point about the error going away on subsequent copies - perhaps I was wrong the first time and missed a notification. I checked previous log files and could not find the "BPB Total Sectors..." line, but I did find the following:

"BPB missing OEM name signature
BPB is invalid - Checking root directory signature...
R_LBA lba=00003e8a len=00000001 [these numbers change each time] EDIT: apologies, don't think these numbers change each time, but there may be two sets of numbers
XTV_STR_DSK signature missing"

a number of times and in the log of the copy that finished, also this:

"Commit BPB 2...
W_LBA lba=00000045 len=00000001"

I'll try to take an image once all copying is complete.
edg10

Postby edg10 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:44 pm

Oh dear. I don't seem to be having much luck.

Had to go out last night so put the box back together once the copy had finished (with the new disk inside), went downstairs and tried to do a rebuild of the planner. Entered the hidden menu and found either "System Reset" or "Sky + Rebuild" so went for the latter option. Received a message saying this would cancel all recordings and reboot the box and take a few minutes, but after pressing select, the system only appeared busy for a couple of seconds and then went back to the Settings menu. No reboot, no planner and no recorded programmes.

I then turned it off at the wall and left it in the hope this would force a reboot and/or rebuild, but no dice. This evening, I've tried to access the planner and been met with a "Please Wait" message, but after a long wait, the system just returns to the TV channel as it does normally when you leave the planner up for too long. Still no recordings.

I have no idea what to do next - I'm loathe to start recording stuff in case it overwrites my copies. So effectively no Sky at all and decreasing patience...any suggestions appreciated!
edg10

Postby pcbbc » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:29 pm

Sorry to hear of your continued problems.

First off, planner rebuild should not actually be required (yes, I know it is in the instructions) to view your recordings in the planner - so something obviously isn't right here.
Why did you select the WD 1TB drive? Is it one known to work well with the Samsung box, or just one chosen at random?
Have you tried a Full System Reset on the 1TB (realise this will now delete all your copied content) to see if the disk works correctly in the first place and is compatible with the Samsung box (albeit only formatted to 508GB capacity by the box itself)?

Also there seem to be issues with the source disk given the errors reported earlier.
If you send me an image of the original source I can investigate further. I can also say if it is safe or not to return this disk to the Sky box.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby edg10 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:03 pm

Thanks for your ongoing support, pcbbc. Much appreciated.

To provide some more info, last night I tried to get the new WD disk to work in the Sky box again, but to no avail. With the WD disk in, I was unable to access playback, recording, programme synopses or any other features aside from pure live TV. I did keep getting a message to call Sky so decided to take a punt and see what they had to say.

They took me through the rebuild process, which failed within half a second and returned to the hidden setup menu. They then suggested a full system reset so I went for this as well (since I have a copy of the image still) but it had the same result ie. none, again after just half a second. The lady at Sky then tried to book me an engineer to visit but unfortunately no times were convenient.

Out of frustration, I decided to at least restore some normalcy by putting the original disk back in for the wife to use, forgetting that this may cause issues ( :( aargh!). Predictably, it caused issues. The box now won't even boot up or respond to the remote control!

I then took the WD disk back to the PC and re-copied the image across, but this time omitted the last two recordings (as I had seen this to be a fix in some other cases, where the recordings had become corrupted). When this had finished, there were this time no VC2 errors, but there was a message at the end saying that the source disk had some issues which Copy+ had tried to fix on the destination drive (ie. the WD one). I've yet to try this one in the box again, but will do so tonight.

Being as stubborn as the proverbial horse/donkey hybrid, I'm not giving up on this, so will also make an image this evening and get it across to you for study(thanks in advance for your time on this). The reason I chose this disk was purely because I had seen successful upgrades using it reported online. Bit odd that the FSR did not work, though...
edg10

Postby pcbbc » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:36 pm

You did a FSR through the menus?
Have you tried the front panel method?
This gives a little more feedback with the play light for success and the record light for failure. :wink:

TBH, if you can not get this to work then I don't think Copy+ is going to help you - there is something more serious wrong elsewhere.
Check your connections, and check the disk using the drive manufacturers tools.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Return to Copy+ General Support