Maximum Disk Size

Any other questions about the software?

Maximum Disk Size

Postby jimbo » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:48 pm

I have a Pace Sky+ V3 (9F22nn): Card slot to lower left of centre. Just a standard Sky+ box, not a HD box.

What is the maximum disk size that this will support.

I think that 80GB will be reserved for Anytime.

Thanks

jimbo
jimbo

Re: Maximum Disk Size

Postby pcbbc » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:14 pm

750GB PATA drive. 750GB is the largest capacity available with a PATA interface.
You will need to use Copy+ to transfer from an existing disk. The box will not natively format a disk this large.

You can go as high as 1TB with a SATA drive and a PATA to SATA adapter board.
However I do not recommend this. Getting a HDD which works reliably is hard enough without the added complexity of an adapter thrown in the mix.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby jimbo » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:14 am

Thanks for the reply.

Why do you say that's it's hard enough to get a HDD to work reliably. Is there any guidance you can give me in increasing the capacity of my Pace Sky+ disk. What type / brand of disks to buy or avoid?

I read on the website that 250GB was the highest recommended. Can you advise?

"For standard Sky+ boxes: Be particularly careful if you select a size over 250GB, as it is not known what the upper supported drive size is for different Sky+ boxes. For reliable operation keeping the partition size to 250GB or below is recommended."
jimbo

Postby pcbbc » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:45 am

jimbo wrote:Why do you say that's it's hard enough to get a HDD to work reliably.
Some disks just do not work, or give stutters or picture breakup.
Is there any guidance you can give me in increasing the capacity of my Pace Sky+ disk. What type / brand of disks to buy or avoid?
Ideally select a disk of the same make and model family as the OEM disk you remove.
If that is not possible, select an AV (Audio Visual) or CE (Consumer Electronics) branded drive. These are designed by the manufacturer for PVR use.
Search the DigitalSpy and other online forums with the model number of the disk you are considering for any problems with your same make of Sky box. Remember that a disk working reliably in a Sky box from manufacturer X is NOT reliably indication that they will also work in boxes from manufacturer Y.

I read on the website that 250GB was the highest recommended. Can you advise?
Usually which allows the box to perform the Full System Reset. Otherwise you must use Copy+ to prepare the drive.
TBH 250GB is more than enough for SD usage for most people. I expect the installed base of anything larger is relatively small.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Return to Copy+ General Support