copy+ can't find usb drive

Any other questions about the software?

copy+ can't find usb drive

Postby commander114 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:52 pm

Just completed my first upgrade using copy+ and found it superb.posting.php?mode=post&f=6#.. Thank you. But...

I had previously upgraded the 40gig HD in my Pace Sky+ box about 2 or 3 years ago with a 120gig drive and it has been working without fault ever since. I had about 98 gigs of programs on it and wanted to upgrade to a 500gig WD disk. As I only had 95 gig spare on my Windows laptop (relatively old Dell that I keep for Windows only jobs such as this - I converted to Mac a few years ago) I decided to use a 1TB USB WD Book drive to save from the original disk. I tried EVERYTHING to format that disk correctly to enable copy+ to see it but I never did succeed (I ended up deleting a few not so important programs to get it below the 95 gig I had spare on the Dell HD).

When I say I tried EVERYTHING I mean it. I did Google searches on how to format drives, I followed the help on copy+, I even put it on my Mac and tried to format it there but to no avail. It ends up with 931.32gb of 'Unallocated' space that I did various types of formatting to in an effort to make it work. The disk also has 200 mb "Healthy (EFI System Partition)" that seems to be untouchable.

I 'think' I have attached the screen shot here:
Dell screen.JPG
Dell screen.JPG (123.36 KiB) Viewed 12455 times

I have at least one more Sky+ box to do and would like to get this external disk up and running so can anyone suggest anything please??

Thank you
Leo
commander114

Re: copy+ can't find usb drive

Postby pcbbc » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:00 am

You should be able to right click on the "931.32 GB Unallocated" and select "New Partition", then follow the prompts.
Make sure you select NTFS format if you are asked. Once you have finished formatting the volume should be visible in Windows Explorer and My Computer etc.
Then you will be able to select it as a destination for a XTV Backup Image File in Copy+ to make a backup.

Not quite sure why you can't do this? What errors, or screens did you get?
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby commander114 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:31 am

I've done it again, made sure I have NTFS format, gave it a drive name of 'Black Box' and it shows up in Explorer and I can copy files to and from it.
Dell disks.JPG
External HD is Black Box
Dell disks.JPG (31 KiB) Viewed 12441 times

When I go into copy+ and click on Destination drive I get 'Help my destination drive is not listed' ('Snip' will not let me grab it with the window down so can't show it). The only things that show when I click on destination is my previously saved file and the Help statement. At this point I do not have an external drive with any Sky+ source attached, only the file previously saved on the internal HD is available, if this could make a difference?

I must admit it is confusing me too!
commander114

Postby commander114 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:40 am

For completeness of testing I've just attached the caddy with the original 98gig of Sky+ data, started copy+ again, used the caddy as Source and sure enough only the 'Help' screen appears as the destination :x
commander114

Postby pcbbc » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:00 am

I'm confused. You are trying to:
1. Do a backup of your Sky disk so you can restore to another disk later? i.e. a two stage backup, then restore.
Or:
2. You are attempting to copy directly to the 1TB disk in the caddy and will then use it in the Sky box? i.e. copying source to destination directly.

If 1, which is what I think you are trying to do, then under destination disk you should have:

Please select "XTV backup image file", then in the following "Save As..." window:
Drop down the "Save in:" selection at the top, and navigate to your "Black Box E:" disk (instead of "My Documents") and click save.

Alternatively, if 2, then you need to delete all partitions off your destination disk for it to be directly visible in Copy+ as a destination.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby commander114 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:26 pm

I can't believe I missed this :oops: For God's sake I've been in computers since 1978... I'm and idiot, it must be my age or something, I'm sorry to have troubled you.

The answer was for me to click on the XTV backup image file currently on my internal HDD and CHANGE THE DESTINATION TO THE EXTERNAL HDD. Easy! For some reason I was expecting the drop down window to automatically show my external HDD as an option.

Sorry once more and thank you for sorting my brain. I'm going for a lie down....
commander114

Postby pcbbc » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:44 pm

NP - Glad you are sorted. :D

When you come to do the restore, it is of course the reverse process:
"XTV Image File" option in the source drop down.
And in this case your destination disk WILL appear in the destination list. If not, delete the partition, follow the other advice on the "Help - My disk isn't recognised" pop-up.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Return to Copy+ General Support