I think I maybe another "Darwin" casualty

Any other questions about the software?

I think I maybe another "Darwin" casualty

Postby rhildick » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:53 pm

I have just upgraded from Sky+ to SkyHD.

Because I couldn't find time to dump all my old recordings to DVD within the 28 days I had to do the self-install and activate, I decided to use copy+ to backup my old Sky+ box (Pace TDS470N) to PC, and then recover them to my new SkyHD box (Amstrad 895-c).

However it did not work. When I hooked up the Amstrad after the recover process it did not show any of the old recordings on the planner. Worse still, when I tried to make a new recording it worked OK, but when I came to play it back the recorder just got stuck without playing back anything. The only way I could get it to unfreeze was by powering the box off.

I tried planner rebuild - nogo. Eventually I had to do a full system reset, and this at least got me back to square 1, but I obviously lost any recordings that may have been there.

Three other points to note:
1. before doing the copy+ recover, I installed the SkyHD box and had the card paired with the new box (activated 19/10/10) - everything was working at that stage although I did not test recording .
2. When I did the copy+ recover, I had to re-partition the new drive to get copy+ to see it.
3. I did a convert format from little endian to big endian as that's what the compatibility guides suggested for the amstrad.

After all that, my question is - Did I do anything wrong ie how can I successfully restore my old recordings to my new HD box, preferably without destroying the new box in the process?

...from reading some of the other posts on this forum I fear however the answer may be as my thread title suggests...?

thanks
rhildick

Re: I think I maybe another "Darwin" casualty

Postby pcbbc » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Yep sorry. With Darwin I am doubtful if SD to HD transfers are possible anymore. :?
The legacy SD and Darwin HD planner and database formats have simply diverged too much. It was only really good fortune that allowed it in the first place (and the fact that SD and HD boxes started life with a similar code base).
You also need to use the beta version as endian conversion is broken in 1.2.0.7 (you don't say which version you used).
Regardless, Copy+ing to a drive over 1TB is currently broken as well and will result in overwrites on the destination box.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby rhildick » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:55 pm

thanks pcbbc, yes it was 1.2.0.5 I used so the endian conversion wouldn't have worked anyway, but I see that is probably the least of my problems.

thanks for the help...so close but not quite
rhildick

Postby pcbbc » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Yep - Sorry.
You are of course welcome to try 1.2.0.7, but at the moment there is so much going on that I am erring on the side of caution with regard to what will and will not work.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Return to Copy+ General Support