PC won't boot after hooking up the Sky+ HDD

Any other questions about the software?

PC won't boot after hooking up the Sky+ HDD

Postby Coopz » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:33 pm

Hi guys

My Sky+ box needs a repair and i want to backup my stuff so this program sounds like a godsend :)

I have 2 Ide HDDS plugged in and 2 Sata controllers that are not being used and when i plug my Sky HDD into either of these Sata controllers the PC shows its there at POST but just stops dead after it sees it.

Does anyone know what the problem may be?

Worst comes to worst i will just buy a USB caddie but seeing as i may need to pay Sky for a repair i would like to put the cash towards that.

Thanks in advance guys :)
Coopz

Re: PC won't boot after hooking up the Sky+ HDD

Postby pcbbc » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:06 pm

This can be down to "auto detect" being on in the BIOS. Alternatively it is boot order, or some esoteric feature of your BIOS. Unfortuantely we can not help with this.
A potential workaround (if you are very careful) is to hot plug the HDD after the PC has booted. Alternatively if you are concerned about this, get an external USB/eSATA caddy as you suggest.

Please also be aware that for Sky+HD boxes on the "Darwin" software there are serious incompatibilities with Copy+ at the moment (can not copy any new recordings made since the update was applied), and also complete incompatibility with drives over 1TB such that pre-Drawin recordings are corrupted and overwritten by new ones.
We're working to fix this, but can not currently offer a timescale for a release. Sorry. :oops:
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby Coopz » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:01 pm

Thanks for the quick reply

How can i tell if my Sky HD box is on the "Darwin" software?

Also im not allowed to post links but is this search in Ebay the right Caddie i need if messing with the BIOS doesnt work?

USB 2.0 3.5 HDD SATA Hard Disk Drive External Caddy M

Thanks
Coopz

Postby pcbbc » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:13 pm

Coopz wrote:How can i tell if my Sky HD box is on the "Darwin" software?
1. You have the network setup options for connection to your router in the Sky menus.
2. You will have got the open source licence info when the software was first installed.

Also im not allowed to post links but is this search in Ebay the right Caddie i need if messing with the BIOS doesnt work?
Sorry about that.
Yes, looks correct. Of course I can not 100% guarantee it will work as I have not used that brand.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby Coopz » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:14 pm

pcbbc wrote:
Coopz wrote:How can i tell if my Sky HD box is on the "Darwin" software?
1. You have the network setup options for connection to your router in the Sky menus.
2. You will have got the open source licence info when the software was first installed.

Sorry about that.
Yes, looks correct. Of course I can not 100% guarantee it will work as I have not used that brand.

No dont have any network setup options and i have never seen any open source licence info, so i guess that means i'm OK to copy my stuff and sort my box out :)

Happy Days, Thanks
Coopz

Postby pcbbc » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:23 pm

Coopz wrote:No dont have any network setup options and i have never seen any open source licence info, so i guess that means i'm OK to copy my stuff and sort my box out :)
Assuming you get the same box back - yes.
If you are given a replacement box with Dariwn on it you may have problems restoring.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby Coopz » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:37 pm

I'm not getting a new box i'm just copying the stuff so i can put it back on after i reset which Sky said would sort out the problems

Will Copy+ clone the whole drive meaning a reset won't do anything seeing as i'm putting the same things back on?
Coopz

Postby pcbbc » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:41 pm

Coopz wrote:Will Copy+ clone the whole drive meaning a reset won't do anything seeing as i'm putting the same things back on?
Depends what the problem is. Copy+ recreates the file system from scratch, but copies the vast majority of files verbatim.

If the problem is with the file system, it will likely be fixed (assuming Copy+ can workaround the problem and read the disk). If there is a problem with the internal databases it's not going to help.

Please describe your symptoms.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby Coopz » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:14 pm

Symptoms are very slow loading when in the EPG and Planner and once a week the box freezes when i switch it on
Coopz

Postby paulthomas » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:23 pm

I upgraded the disk in my original Thompson HD quite some time ago and used copy+. I had no performance issues with it. Having upgraded to the new 1.6TB amstrad, the children are using the thompson, and have recorded much more to it than I ever did. I've noticed it is now significantly slower, particularly going into the planner. I suspect the processor is not really up to the job of managing the size of the planner.
paulthomas

Postby Coopz » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:55 pm

pcbbc wrote:
Coopz wrote:Will Copy+ clone the whole drive meaning a reset won't do anything seeing as i'm putting the same things back on?
Depends what the problem is. Copy+ recreates the file system from scratch, but copies the vast majority of files verbatim.

If the problem is with the file system, it will likely be fixed (assuming Copy+ can workaround the problem and read the disk). If there is a problem with the internal databases it's not going to help.

Please describe your symptoms.

I posted my symptoms mate what do you think?

I wanna crack on tomorrow if you think it would be OK putting the same files back on it :)
Coopz

Postby pcbbc » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:29 pm

Can't do any harm, but is not a 100% guaranteed cure.

Thomson boxes are know to be a little "cranky" when used with 1TB drives and they get full (slow planner etc), and also renowned for problems with their PSU which can cause reliability issues.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby Coopz » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:52 pm

OK thanks ill give it a go again tomorrow
Coopz

Return to Copy+ General Support