Another "Copy+ doesn't see Sky HDD" Thread

Any other questions about the software?

Another "Copy+ doesn't see Sky HDD" Thread

Postby MrBass » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:50 pm

Hi,

Bit of a longshot here but I've got a Sky engineer coming round tomorrow morning as I've been having issues with my box, and I wanted to back up my HDD in case he/she switches the box out.

I've used Copy+ successfully before to transfer my recordings to my new 1TB box, but now it doesn't seem to detect my drive, even though it shows up under Disk Management.

I read a few posts by pcbbc saying something about the "Darwin" update and wondered if that's what's causing the issue or if I'm just forgetting to do something.

For info, I've got the Amstrad DRX995 box with the 1 (well 1.5) TB drive and all I want to do is back the thing up to an image that I can restore if needs be some other time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
MrBass

Re: Another "Copy+ doesn't see Sky HDD" Thread

Postby pcbbc » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:25 am

Sorry guys, backups are not possible at the moment with the Darwin software.
No idea on how long it is going to take to fix. Also the likelihood is that all your pre-Drawin recordings (either Copy+ed or made by the box itself) are all being overwritten by any post-Darwin ones, so a backup will not resolve your issues. See the main 1.5TB thread for details.
What exactly are the problems being experienced with the DRX895 (I think your DRX995 is a typo as I have never heard of that model).
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby MrBass » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:23 am

Thanks for getting back to me.

I managed to get round the issue, kinda, by deleting the partition and re-creating. I was then able to see my drive in Copy+ and back it up to an image. I did notice though that there was nothing after 28/09/2010, presumably this was when the new "Darwin" software was installed?

As for my issues, after skitting around the forums here it seems that they may be due to the new software/previous Copy+ copy. In essence I was getting picture freezing/break up on recorded programs. It did only seem to be recently recorded stuff, although bar one HD program I haven't played any old recorded programs. The problem also extended to Anytime recordings.

When I first noticed the issue I only had about 15% free space on my drive and I initially thought that it was a hardware problem so deleted a chunk of stuff. This seemed to have cured it, but I haven't done extensive testing. My box currently has ~45% free space.

As I thought it was a hardware issue, I was concerned that if I filled my up again I'd get the same problem and I didn't want that happening when I was out of warranty, hence the call to Sky. Obviously their call centre aren't aware of the software issue as she tried talking me through a planner rebuild and recording a minutes worth of a program, until I explained to her that it would work fine with or without the planner rebuild so was a meaningless exercise.

The engineer has just gone and also didn't mention anything about the software possibly being the cause, although perhaps that's because in my fluster (I'd literally just got the Sky box put back together, bar two screws, after I'd pulled it apart to do the backup!) I said that I'd read it could be due to the latest software. Anyway, he's installed a new dish for me and left me his number should I get any more problems in the next 30 days. So the whole backup panic was a complete waste of time! :lol:

Oh and you're right, my 995 was a typo I meant 895.
MrBass

Postby pcbbc » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:34 am

You're going to experience exactly the same overwriting problems if you restore your backup to the new disk.
New recordings can not be backed-up or copied by Copy+ at present, and old programs are placed in the wrong place for the new software - hence the overwriting.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Return to Copy+ General Support