Error locking drive

Any other questions about the software?

Error locking drive

Postby Taco » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:22 pm

hi folks

been trying to upgrade to a 1Tb on my sky hd for about 5 hours now, using both versions of copy+ (stable & beta)
but i keep getting the 'error locking drive' message everytime.

copy+ sees my new drive, and it sits unpartitioned, ready to be formatted.

all AV/spyware/firewall programs are turned off, i even tried it in safe mode.

i have attached a copy of the log file to see if anyone can work out what the problem might be.

btw, new drive is a Samsung HD103SJ
Taco

Re: Error locking drive

Postby Taco » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:47 pm

wow....3 days to get a topic approved....thank god my life didn't depend on it :roll:
Taco

Postby pcbbc » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:16 pm

Sorry about the delay approving posts. I didn't turn this feature on and it got accidentally set when we made some changes to the forum.
As a result there are a whole load of posts that I am only just aware of. I should also point out it's free software that I support in my own time, so I could have been away on holiday and you might have had to wait weeks for an answer.

But anyway...

Unfortunately I've really no idea what is causing this issue that a small minority of people sometimes have. What I can say is that it is something holding the disk open so it can not be obtained exclusively. I'd love to be able to investigate further, but unless I can actually get access to such a system I'm all out of ideas of how to resolve it remotely.

I can say for some AV software just disabling "on access scanning" probably won't be enough. Usually there is a boot sector level scanning in there as well which could be causing this issue. I've also had my drive locking code looked at by a support team at Microsoft and even they couldn't see what I was doing wrong....

Sorry, probably not the answer you wanted to hear after 3 days.... :oops:
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby Taco » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:12 pm

lol...no worries, it was a bit more tongue-in-cheek than criticism. software is first class, once i got it working.

i noticed that in the error log, it said that it was unable to write to the disk, and further checks on the disk looked like it was write protected for some reason, even though it was raw data before copy+ started accessing it.

so, after trying virtually everything i could think of, including running windows in basic services mode, i uninstalled the xtvfs driver then rebooted...while doing that, i thought i would try it again using vista, rather than w7, and hey presto...it worked...like a dream:)

so, i'm not really sure what the actual solution was, whether it was using vista, or uninstalling the drivers, but i got there in the end, and the missus is delighted with the 94% free space, which kinda made up for the fact i had the box in bits for the best part of a day :P

but cheers anyway mate, no real harm done:)
Taco

Return to Copy+ General Support