Sky box refuses to boot. Can I fix it with Copy+?

Any other questions about the software?

Sky box refuses to boot. Can I fix it with Copy+?

Postby Giansi » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:15 pm

Hi,

I have a sky+ box (Pace model) with a 500Gb disk in it. It has been working well for almost two years with the occasional glitch, which was normally fixed with a planner rebuild. Few days ago I noticed that the box had failed a couple of recordings for 'lack of disk space' when there was more that 40%free, so I did a planner rebuild like many times before. After that I was unable to turn the box back on again.

I tried to power up the box while holding the backup button and I updated the firmware, but no joy, the power button stays red, no matter what I try.

So I put back the old hard disk and I did a full system reset, and now the box is working again.

Now my problem is: can I somehow repair the 500Gb hard disk which contains a good bit of stuff I haven't watched yet? I checked it with Copy+ and the whole list of recordings shows up, but I'm not sure what to do with it.

Any help please?
Giansi

Re: Sky box refuses to boot. Can I fix it with Copy+?

Postby pcbbc » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:28 am

Giansi wrote:Now my problem is: can I somehow repair the 500Gb hard disk which contains a good bit of stuff I haven't watched yet? I checked it with Copy+ and the whole list of recordings shows up, but I'm not sure what to do with it.
The best place to start is by copying everything off the disk and back on with Copy+.
Ideally do this to a different disk if possible (so you keep the original in case of any issues). However if needs be you can do a backup and restore to the same disk.
This is known to fix any one of a number of issues with the Sky file system. But if you are still having issues report back as there are other things you can try.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Re: Sky box refuses to boot. Can I fix it with Copy+?

Postby Giansi » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:03 pm

Thanks pcbbc, I'll try this and let you know.

Can I use a NAS for storing the backup file? Don't have enough space on my PC hard disk and I tried to store it on my NAS but it did not work. Is there an issue with my setup or are you aware of a problem with Copy+?
Giansi

Return to Copy+ General Support