moving from sky+ to Sky+ HD

Any other questions about the software?

moving from sky+ to Sky+ HD

Postby dog-man » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:41 pm

Can I check that this will work for me?

I am about to self install my HD box.

My old sky+ box has loads of stuff on the HDD, but the larger drive that I intend placing into the HD receiver will not arrive for a few days yet.

If I go ahead and install my HD receiver, then obviously my sky+ box will be out of action. Will I still be able to move the stored programs over to the new HD drive using copy+ when it arrives then place it in the HD receiver?

I don't want to lose what I have already recorded.

I hope this makes sense!

dog-man
dog-man

Re: moving from sky+ to Sky+ HD

Postby pcbbc » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:51 pm

dog-man wrote:I don't want to lose what I have already recorded.
Welcome to the forums dog-man!

Sorry, but Copy+ can not "merge" disks at the moment due to the manipulation of the planner file that would be required. I do not have sufficient knowledge on how to do this at the moment.

So if you do as you suggest, when you copy over you will have to delete everything recorded on the HD box previously. Obviously not what you want!

Suggest you copy everything over from the Sky+ box to supplied 300GB HD drive, then when your new SATA HD drive arrives, copy everything back to it - including anything recorded in the meantime. Of course you may not have enough space, if you have upgraded the Sky+ box already!

Either that, or just wait for the new SATA drive before doing anything. :)
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby dog-man » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:03 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I have upgraded my sky+ drive to 250 gig, but think the 160gb drive space on the new HD box will be enough space (just) for me to copy stuff over now and then when my new very large drive arrives, I can copy again all the stuff onto that.

dog-man :wink:
dog-man

Postby pcbbc » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:01 pm

dog-man wrote:I have upgraded my sky+ drive to 250 gig, but think the 160gb drive space on the new HD box will be enough space (just) for me to copy stuff over now and then when my new very large drive arrives, I can copy again all the stuff onto that.
But unfortunately you will lose anything you have recorded on the HD box in the meantime. :(
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby dog-man » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:41 pm

Why?

The 300 gig hard drive in my sky HD was unused.

I have now copied all my sky+ stuff over to the sky HD drive before I installed the HD receiver and on Monday, my new very large drive will arrive and I will copy all the stuff on my sky HD drive to the larger drive which will then go into the sky HD receiver.

Why will I lose recordings?

dog-man
dog-man

Postby pcbbc » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:10 am

Sorry, misread your original post:
dog-man wrote:I have upgraded my sky+ drive to 250 gig, but think the 160gb drive space on the new HD box will be enough space (just) for me to copy stuff over now and then and when my new very large drive arrives, I can copy again all the stuff onto that.
I mentally inserted the and

Therefore assumed you'd be doing more than one copy, and hence would have to sacrifice any recordings made in the meantime.

Sorry - You are quite correct. If you do as you say you will be fine and can keep everything (except any stuff you had to sacrifice in the first copy to get everything to fit). :D
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby dog-man » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:46 am

You had me worried for a moment! :wink:
dog-man

Return to Copy+ General Support