SKY HD - drives spins up then spins down again - SOLVED

Any other questions about the software?

SKY HD - drives spins up then spins down again - SOLVED

Postby Fat Jez » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:18 pm

Hi,

I'm attempting to transfer my recordings from a Pace V2 box (40GB HD) to a Thomson Sky HD box.

The transfer completes OK and I am asked if I want to convert the data, to which I select yes and choose the Thomson Box from the list (I'm using the beta).

When I put the drive back in the Sky HD box and power it on, it spins up for about 10-15 seconds then immediately spins back down again and repeats this constantly. I get no picture on my TV (using HDMI) and the modem and satellite cables are connected.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Stephen
Fat Jez

Postby Fat Jez » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:13 pm

Not to worry, it's working now. I didn't get the message telling me all was complete the first time I tried it. I'm now happily watching a program transferred from my old Sky+ box. There's an irony that some of the programs I transferred pre-date Sky HD :D

Now if Sky could just sort out the problem pairing my box with my viewing card, I would be sorted :(

Cheers,
Stephen
Fat Jez

Postby pcbbc » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:29 am

Fat Jez wrote:Not to worry, it's working now. I didn't get the message telling me all was complete the first time I tried it. I'm now happily watching a program transferred from my old Sky+ box. There's an irony that some of the programs I transferred pre-date Sky HD :D
That's odd. Any ideas why?!
As you may have worked out, your problem as reported in your first post is exactly as I would expect if the conversion hadn't completed successfully.

There might be a log file in c:\Program Files\Copy+, but chances are it has been overwritten with the successful log.
Perhaps worth a look? I realise you are sorted now, but it would help me for next time if we can work out what happened.

Now if Sky could just sort out the problem pairing my box with my viewing card, I would be sorted :(
I'm sure they'll have fixed soon! If you have multiroom and are keeping the Sky+ box I beleive there are sometimes problems. Although I think this is usually because Sky insist the Sky+ card goes over to the HD box - thus making the Sky+ recordings unplayable. Of course you won't have that issue ;)

Good luck with your new HD box.
Glad I can add another successful Pace V2 drive conversion to the beta results!
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby Fat Jez » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:12 pm

Hi,

I have 2 log files, both around 840K, if they would help?

I'm not planning on keeping the Sky+ box, but for some reason multiroom is showing listed on my account online, although the Sky call centre disagree. Unfortunately they still haven't sorted out my viewing card problem, which is annoying as I can't activate Sky HD.

But yes, I think you can safely add another V2 conversion. I'm well impressed with your program, as I really didn't want to lose the stuff I had saved (in my case, the actual Live 8 recordings and a concert by David Gilmour).

Cheers,
Stephen
Fat Jez

Postby pcbbc » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:18 am

Fat Jez wrote:I have 2 log files, both around 840K, if they would help?
They certainly would. If you could zip them, and mail them that would be great.
I will send you my e-mail address.

I'm not planning on keeping the Sky+ box, but for some reason multiroom is showing listed on my account online, although the Sky call centre disagree. Unfortunately they still haven't sorted out my viewing card problem, which is annoying as I can't activate Sky HD.
Oh dear - No idea what's wrong there sorry :(

But yes, I think you can safely add another V2 conversion. I'm well impressed with your program, as I really didn't want to lose the stuff I had saved (in my case, the actual Live 8 recordings and a concert by David Gilmour).
Cool - Happy to help. :D
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby Fat Jez » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:57 pm

Just as a follow up, I'm now using a Western Digital WD7500AKS, having copied all my recordings over from the original HD drive (so some of them have moved from V2 Pace Sky+ box to original Sky HD drive, to 750GB HD drive :D).

Process was absolutely painless, the only clanger I dropped was forgetting to set the drives Acoustic Management, so the seeks were a bit loud until I rectified it.

Cheers,
Stephen
Fat Jez

Return to Copy+ General Support