Can you copy MPG files on your pc to your Sky Box

Any other questions about the software?

Can you copy MPG files on your pc to your Sky Box

Postby Digittt » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:47 am

Here's a pickle.

I recall reading on one of the forums somewhere that the movie files that are stored on the sky+ harddrive differ in that free-to-air viewing is in a file format that we can grab and take off the Sky box onto a PC for viewing, but the subscription channels have your viewing card details used to encode the movie file and hence we cannot view it on a PC.

Given that we know and can use the format of the file coming off from free-to-air channels...can we reverse the process and take something off our PC, convert it to the same format and then put it on the sky hard-drive and watch it through the sky planner?

Not sure if this is remotely feasible or whether anyone has tried it...but interested in finding out in the least!

Many thanks.

PS : And yes, the files all copied across to the new SKY HD box and I get to watch the mother-in-law drowning with the Lusitania for eternity (or until my HD crashes).
Digittt

Re: Can you copy MPG files on your pc to your Sky Box

Postby pcbbc » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:01 am

Digittt wrote:I recall reading on one of the forums somewhere that the movie files that are stored on the sky+ harddrive differ in that free-to-air viewing is in a file format that we can grab and take off the Sky box onto a PC for viewing, but the subscription channels have your viewing card details used to encode the movie file and hence we cannot view it on a PC.

Given that we know and can use the format of the file coming off from free-to-air channels...can we reverse the process and take something off our PC, convert it to the same format and then put it on the sky hard-drive and watch it through the sky planner?
This would require a lot of details about the DVB-S transport stream format, and also the internal metadata files used by the Sky+ system. This is information which I don't have available to me.
Theoretically it is probably possible, but would require a lot of work. I agree it would be an interesting feature, but it's not something I currently plan on supporting. Sorry.

PS : And yes, the files all copied across to the new SKY HD box and I get to watch the mother-in-law drowning with the Lusitania for eternity (or until my HD crashes).
Thanks for the confirmation. I will ensure that the compatibility gets updated for Thompson Sky+ to HD transfers with the next website and help file updates!
pcbbc
Site Admin

Return to Copy+ General Support