error locking and dismounted source drive

Any other questions about the software?

error locking and dismounted source drive

Postby yusuf » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:55 pm

Hi i am trying to upgrade my hard drive in my sky plus box to a 500GB hard drive so that I have more space to save recordings.
I am doing this using two USB hard drive caddys so that I can copy from the original sky hard drive to the new 500GB one.
Everything goes to plan by following the instructions provided, but after I click on start copy a few seconds later it says 'error locking and dismounted source drive'.
Also the first time I connected the original sky hard drive to my laptop via the usb caddy, it showed up in my computer and you could access the folder, but now it doesn't show up in my computer at all, I havn't changed anything on the sky hard drive, just thought I'd mention this as it could help solve the problem.
I am using windows vista 32bit.
I also made sure that I disabled my anti virus.
Please help me with this error
Thank you
Yusuf
yusuf

Re: error locking and dismounted source drive

Postby pcbbc » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:44 pm

The "error locking and dismounted source drive" is most likely an interaction with some other software you have on your PC. Even disabling AV runtime scanning (checking of files as they are accessed) does not usually disable other features of the AV software (for example boot record scanning) which may interfere with Copy+ operation.
Please make sure it is fully disabled, or for some free products (which do not offer much control) in may be necessary to temporarily un-install or use an alternate PC.

With regard to the disk no longer appearing, almost certainly the disk is not corrected correctly. Suspect either a faulty USB caddy, or faulty cables. If it is a regular Sky+ box (i.e. NOT HD) we are taking about, also check that the IDE ribbon cable is not damaged.
Copy+ will not have made any changes to your source disk, so this is due something outside of my control. Sorry.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Re: error locking and dismounted source drive

Postby yusuf » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:16 pm

Hi thank you for your reply,
I tried using copy plus with another sky plus hard drive with the same cables and same caddys on the same laptop etc and it worked fine.
When I initially connected the sky hard drive it showed up in my computer and I was able to explore it and view the files on it. I then used the copy plus software and instructions and successfully managed to copy the contents over without any problems.
With the other sky hard drive (the one I am having problems with) when I connect it, it does not show up in 'my computer' and when I use the copy plus software it scans the the recordings and they show up but when I click on copy, after a few seconds it shows the error: error locking and dismounting source drive
This proves that there is nothing wrong with the the caddys I am using and its nothing to do with my laptop or any antivirus software that is being used as I successfully managed to copy the other sky hard drive without any problems.
I need to find a way of making the sky hard drive (which shows the error) visible in 'my computer' and I am almost certain that this will solve the problem. The only way I know how to do this is through disk management but that would mean I would format the hard drive and lose my recordings.
If anyone knows how to put the hard drive back into the state of which it would be visible in 'my computer' then I would really appreciate it.
Thank you
yusuf

Return to Copy+ General Support