seems to copy to drive just cant see!

Any other questions about the software?

seems to copy to drive just cant see!

Postby scooby250 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:04 pm

Hi new to all this but know wat im doin inside a PC! i copied 35Gb's of recorded stuff from a Sky Plus box, and wanted to transfer to new Amstrad 890 , which i belive is big endian, it say it copies and can see in pc, but wen bak in the box wont see anything recorded at all , even after a planner rebuild too ! any ideas!? ahhh !!!
scooby250

Re: seems to copy to drive just cant see!

Postby pcbbc » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:19 pm

Source box is SD?
Destination box is HD?
SD to HD migrations are no longer possible once the destination box has Darwin (Anytime+) and give the symptoms you describe.
Sorry - see the other posts in the forum for details.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby scooby250 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:36 pm

hey um wat u mean SD ? standard , yeh it was Thomson DSI8210S (white) and new one is black HD box. so if cant wat can i do with the one backup file on the pc? convert to watch on media player or dvd ?
scooby250

Postby pcbbc » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:14 pm

scooby250 wrote:hey um wat u mean SD ? standard
Yes - SD = Standard Def
So if can't what can i do with the one backup file on the pc? convert to watch on media player or dvd ?
For Free to Air channels you can do this with +Extract. Not a solution for pay channels though.
Or keep your old box connected to the satellite, transfer the card over and watch everything with the exception of premium content (Movies and Sport).
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby StevePritchard » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:43 pm

Obviously, I realise that there is a technical issue with regards to Darwin format boxes, however, I do think it could be made clearer that copying TO a post-Darwin box from any source won't work, as well as copying from them.

The blog entry on the home page says "However, Copy+ is currently NOT able to copy disks from boxes which have already been upgraded to Darwin". Shouldn't that say "However, Copy+ is currently NOT able to copy disks to/from boxes which have already been upgraded to Darwin"?

I've just tried to copy the contents of my Sky+ PVR2 to my new Sky+HD DRX890 (500Gb) thinking that there wouldn't be any problem, and it was only after seeing this post that I realised that I was stuffed.

Keep up the good work though.

Cheers,

Steve.
StevePritchard

Postby pcbbc » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:58 pm

Hi, sorry for the delay replying...

StevePritchard wrote:Obviously, I realise that there is a technical issue with regards to Darwin format boxes, however, I do think it could be made clearer that copying TO a post-Darwin box from any source won't work, as well as copying from them.

The blog entry on the home page says "However, Copy+ is currently NOT able to copy disks from boxes which have already been upgraded to Darwin". Shouldn't that say "However, Copy+ is currently NOT able to copy disks to/from boxes which have already been upgraded to Darwin"?
No - It is still perfectly possible to:
Copy from HD box (without Darwin) to HD box with Darwin.

Conversions that are NOT possible are any involving the following scenarios:
1. Any source disk already upgraded to Darwin (Copy+ can not read the new format planner database, so is incompatible).
2. Form a SD box to a HD box that has already received Darwin (Darwin software is no longer able to read the extremely legacy planner format from the SD box - the two formats have simply diverged too far from a once common shared format).

I've just tried to copy the contents of my Sky+ PVR2 to my new Sky+HD DRX890 (500Gb) thinking that there wouldn't be any problem, and it was only after seeing this post that I realised that I was stuffed.
Yep, sorry. This runs into the second problem.
I know it's little consolation, but had you attempted this prior to receiving Darwin it would have worked...

Keep up the good work though.
Cheers, Stuart.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby StevePritchard » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:15 pm

Thanks - my bad. I didn't realise that you could go from pre-Darwin HD to post-Darwin HD.

Does that provide a possibility for an intermediate SD->HD solution? Is it possible to convert the SD planner format to the pre-Darwin HD format within Copy+? Then, presumably, when that gets put into a post-Darwin HD box, the box itself will do the necessary jiggery-pokery to make it Darwin compatible?

Either way, it's too late for me. I've bitten the bullet and have started with a clean post-Darwin DRX890, so I'll be keeping my eye open for the Darwin compatible version of Copy+ so I can put a larger hard disk in it (there's never a time when my planner is empty).

Just so my "keep up the good work" doesn't seem like an empty platitude, you should have my donation by now.

Cheers,

Steve.
StevePritchard

Postby pcbbc » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:33 pm

StevePritchard wrote:Does that provide a possibility for an intermediate SD->HD solution? Is it possible to convert the SD planner format to the pre-Darwin HD format within Copy+? Then, presumably, when that gets put into a post-Darwin HD box, the box itself will do the necessary jiggery-pokery to make it Darwin compatible?
Not something I am planning I am afraid.
Trying to work out exactly what Sky change in the database on an upgrade is a daunting task, and one best left to Sky themselves.
I try to steer clear of such things, sticking mainly to the file system level as much as humanly possible. Anything else is just asking for trouble, as even one small mistake (as recent Darwin events proved) can have knock on effects that no one can possibly predict....

There is a workaround, albeit a very clunky one requiring a non-Darwin HD box as an interim step, as suggested by user imprator here.

Either way, it's too late for me. I've bitten the bullet and have started with a clean post-Darwin DRX890, so I'll be keeping my eye open for the Darwin compatible version of Copy+ so I can put a larger hard disk in it (there's never a time when my planner is empty).
The Darwin version will arrive eventually!
In the meantime I would suggest trying not to run the box at 100% capacity. Doesn't seem to be any more sensible with a PVR than with a PC to me.
80-90% maximum is probably a good compromise.

Just so my "keep up the good work" doesn't seem like an empty platitude, you should have my donation by now.
Many thanks. Much appreciated thank you 8)
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby StevePritchard » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:38 pm

pcbbc wrote:There is a workaround, albeit a very clunky one requiring a non-Darwin HD box as an interim step, as suggested by user imprator here.

I suspect he could make a small fortune by renting out his Thomson HD box. ;-)

Cheers,

Steve.
StevePritchard

Postby pcbbc » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:58 pm

StevePritchard wrote:I suspect he could make a small fortune by renting out his Thomson HD box. ;-)
And there's a sentence you didn't think you'd be hearing.... :lol:
pcbbc
Site Admin

Return to Copy+ General Support