Will a brand new box have Darwin and a few other questions.

Any other questions about the software?

Will a brand new box have Darwin and a few other questions.

Postby Fractal5 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:16 pm

Hi,

I've just upgraded to Sky+ HD. My Amstrad DRX890 arrived yesterday. I've not plugged it in or turned it on yet because I've heard about the Darwin update. This is a brand new box from Sky, will it already have Darwin on it or will it update to Darwin once it is set up?

I plan to buy a 2Tb WD AV-GP drive and use that. If I install this drive pre-Darwin is there any way to stop Darwin from being downloaded until a work-around is found for drives that are over 1Tb. If not then does anyone know if a new release of Copy+ is imminent?

If I have to get a 1Tb drive instead then is it just a matter of installing the drive and doing a factory reset or do I have to image it in some way?

Thanks,

Fractal5
Fractal5

Re: Will a brand new box have Darwin and a few other questio

Postby Fractal5 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:02 pm

After a bit more research here is my plan:

Image the 2Tb HDD with Copy+ using the vanilla pre darwin image I found on viewtopic.php?f=7&t=856
Install the 2Tb HDD in the Sky box
Connect it all up
Update to Darwin if not already updated

Does the sound about right?

Thanks,

Joe
Fractal5

Re: Will a brand new box have Darwin and a few other questio

Postby pcbbc » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:53 pm

If the destination box has Darwin or not is of no consequence to copying things onto it.
All you need is a pre Darwin image to prepare the drive with. After that, if the box already has Darwin, it will upgrade the disk format from old to new.
I am afraid I can not comment on the suitability of the supplied image for preparing your drive.

However, if you are planning on using a 2TB disk make absolutely sure that the box DOES have Darwin before you start recording anything. Ideally before you do your copy.
For disks OVER 1TB (and which are not the default 1.5TB size as supplied in a DRX895) there are important differences between where recordings are stored on the disk that make the disk format incompatible between pre and post Dawin versions. This will result in the same recording overwrite issue previously experienced when Darwin was first deployed on any recordings made with the OLD software.

The current release of Copy+ assumes that a destination disk over 1TB is going to be used on a Darwin system, as the anticipation is that all Amstrad boxes capable of supporting these drives should already have Darwin (or very soon will do after being hooked up).
pcbbc
Site Admin

Return to Copy+ General Support