My Sky+ HD Box

Anything not covered by any other section of the forum.

My Sky+ HD Box

Postby bettyboop » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:19 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first post as i am a new member. So please bear with me. :)

Well here goes.
I had an Sky+ HD box which i decided to sell, it is an Amstrad DRX890 There was nothing wrong with the box it worked fine.
The person who bought it tells me that it now doesnt work!
Apparently they have spoken to sky who have apparently gone through everything they can to try and get the box to work.

The buyer told me that been in touch with sky finally got through, so i can have my sky box married up to my telly. I have been told by sky that the box is US, ie no good.

I was then told when i connected the machine up i had it on channel 103 which was great at the time as it was x factor on and my daughter was watching it. it was only near the end when she wanted to rewind it for a moment to see something and a message appeared on screen to say we needed to contact sky to enable us to get that service, so i rung sky which was around 8.40pm and when we went through the other stations all i got on screen was a message saying :no satelite signal: the people at sky had me trying different things but nothing would work in order to get a picture on other channels. in the end the people at sky said it was a faulty machine and to contact the seller as regards a return

They then told me we have a three year old white sky+box which i think was made by pace and which i have had to re-connect.

They then told me they pay a monthly subscription.

Can anyone help me as i have tried looking on the internet for answers but i dont seem to be able to find anything that explains things clearly.
What i want to know is the following:
If you have the old Sky+ box from 3 years ago would the HD box work when connected?
Would the Sky+ HD box become faulty from being disconnected and re-connected?
Why wouldnt an HD box work if a Sky+ box works?
What could be wrong with the box if it worked before?

Anyway sorry that the msg is so long but i really need to exhaust every possible avenue before i consider anything else.

Many Thanks. :D
bettyboop

Re: My Sky+ HD Box

Postby pcbbc » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:52 pm

Your post is a bit confusing with all the "they and "I" that I am unsure which bits are referring to you, and which bits the buyer. However I will try to answer your questions.

bettyboop wrote:If you have the old Sky+ box from 3 years ago would the HD box work when connected?
Yes. All that should be needed is a call to Sky to pair card and box to enable recording of subscription channels.
However NOT doing this would NOT result in a "NO satellite" signal error. You would just get "recording interrupted" on playback of pay channel recordings with an unpaired card.

Would the Sky+ HD box become faulty from being disconnected and re-connected?
Not normally, no. But it is probably the most likely time for something to fail for various technical electronic reasons I won't go into.
Also transportation could damage the hard drive if not handled correctly, although again this would not cause the "no satellite signal" error.

Why wouldn't an HD box work if a Sky+ box works?
No reason I can think of. But perhaps if the signal was marginal in the first place and the HD box has a weaker tuner than the SD one? How was their reception prior to using the HD box? What signal strength do they get with both boxes on inputs 1 & 2?

Also are you SURE they had Sky+ and not normal Sky? Are you sure they have 2 feeds from their dish (even if they had Sky+ they may only have one)?
Probably the most likely explaination for "no satellite signal" (besides a faulty box or connection) is only a single feed and that Anytime has kicked in and is occupying tuner 1, so tuner 2 is being used but not connected.
Next is probably a incorrectly connected feed from the dish (or no feed at all!), or a short between the cable braiding and inner core of the coax for input 2.

What could be wrong with the box if it worked before?
Things often stop working when they are turned on or off.
Think of the number of times TVs or old incandescent light bulbs fail soon after switch on.
If you have exhausted all other options then it probably has broken in transit - Sorry :cry:
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby floranicolas » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:40 am

The HD Pack now covers the whole home for just £10.25 a month. So to enjoy the same stunning HD channels in each room you want to watch Sky in, all you need is a Sky Multiroom subscription, in each extra room with an HD ready Sky box and TV.
floranicolas

Postby floranicolas » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:43 am

The HD Pack now covers the whole home for just £10.25 a month. So to enjoy the same stunning HD channels in each room you want to watch Sky in, all you need is a Sky Multiroom subscription, in each extra room with an HD ready Sky box and TV.
floranicolas

Return to Anything Else