Will this Caddy Work ?

Tips on changing them - what's the easiest way, how to make your fans quiet, etc?

Will this Caddy Work ?

Postby Proz » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:41 pm

Hi
I have quite an old Thompson HD box with i think 300gb hd .
I would like to do the 1TB upgrade at least or maybe bigger (1.5-2tb )

Can anyone say if one of the dual dock external caddys would be suitable for the copying proceedure

Its an external sata caddy you can plug 2 hdd's in

Also what are the best hd's to use these days .

Thanks
Proz

Re: Will this Caddy Work ?

Postby jeallen01 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:41 pm

I have a DRX-890, not a Thomson, and I managed to fit an external disk enclosure as described here: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-hd-s ... hdd-6.html.

I had previously bought a dual disk caddy but decided to use a proper enclosure to protect the disk from physical damage. However, the critical issue seems to be the Esata cable length as I could get no consistent results if it is >50cm (on top of the length of the existing cable, with a connector)- whether that is also true for the Thomson I can't say, but I suspect that it is!

The other critical issue is the the power to the external disk MUST be switched ON a few seconds before the SkyHD box is powered up from the mains - otherwise the disk does not settle to correct operation before the SkyHD box searches for it, and so you can't access any programmes stored on the disk.

PS: no change since the linked post as I have been too busy with other hobbies, DIY and work - although the latter may change as I have just been made redundant!! :cry:

Regards

John
jeallen01

Return to General HDD replacement discussion