WD Caviar Green 1TB HD upgrade issue

Tips on changing them - what's the easiest way, how to make your fans quiet, etc?

WD Caviar Green 1TB HD upgrade issue

Postby gluckett » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:27 am

Recently upgraded my Thompson Box with above SATA drive, I used Sky Copy+ to backup and restore contents of old drive onto the new one, fitted the drive and everything looked fine. the major issue I have with it though is the EPG is exceptionally slow, I'm talking minutes sometimes to execute an IR command.
The Box is getting the command as the IR blinks when issued it but the time taken to carry out the command is painful. So much so I've had to drop the old HD back into the box as it was virtually unusuable.
I was literally rebooting the box every day, have tried planner rebuilds, you name it I've tried it hence going back to the old drive. I have no idea what could be causing the slowness of the EPG apart from I screwed up somehow at the backup/restore part of the process!?
Thoughts anyone?

Thanks
gluckett

Re: WD Caviar Green 1TB HD upgrade issue

Postby pcbbc » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:28 am

Sorry, no idea. Some drives just do not work.
Thomson boxes are also notorious for their iffy PSU (Power Supply Units), although I haven't the PSU to cause this particular issue before.
However I would be inclined to recommend a PSU upgrade (see SatCure - £1 off in the forums offers and promotions section) anyway, as it is almost bound to fail sooner or later. :o
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby gluckett » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:14 pm

Sorry, negated to mention I've already re-capped the PSU. :?
Looks like my PC is getting the 1TB drive then.
Thanks though, worth a punt, if you come across any info in the future please bear me in mind. I'd be very interested to get to the root of the issue.
gluckett

Postby Gabe62 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:00 pm

I am having the same problem.

There is some problem reading and writing the EPG data to the drive.

Got to be to do with the way the drive works... very low power consumption and has slightly different firmware to normal 7200rpm drives.

I'm afraid the drives are useless for anything other than backups.

My EPG takes 3-4 days to load... during that time, all recordings and playbacks are stuttery as well. Random stutters will be hardcoded into the recordings, which when added to the stutters on playback, creates a double-whammy !!! :shock:

Plus, the EPG is very slow indeed. It works fine for an hour or two, but randomly seeks for updates etc. to the EPG, and starts to slow down and stutter again. Drives me mad... mad I say ! :evil:

This useless disk is is going to buried in the local woods with a backup of all my archived software, music and adult entertainment media !!! (Completely encrypted and wiped of prints of course :lol: )

Bring back my old trusty Samsung F3 750, until I can afford another - 1TB version this time. 8)

"...Caviar... naviar... crappyiar ! " :roll:
Gabe62

Postby MMCI » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:15 pm

Not sure if you know but there are 2 types of WD caviar green drives commonly available
model numbers are WD10EARS and WD10EADS

if you have a WD10EARS this is an advance format drive with 64mb cache and will not work properly. I suffered painfully slow EPG and although most recordings were fine, HD ones were not and stuttered all over the place. (something to do with data packet sizes or something. i found about 6 months ago when i did mine by searching the forum) I know because I made the same mistake myself. I did however manage to copy all the data i had put on it accross to a WD10EADS which worked a treat.
MMCI

Return to General HDD replacement discussion