WD7500AACS - 750GB GreenPower in SkyHD box

Which replacement drives can you use and which do people recommend?

WD7500AACS - 750GB GreenPower in SkyHD box

Postby Qwakrz » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:48 pm

Just installed a WD7500AACS (750GB Western Digital GreenPower) HDD inide my brand new SkyHD box. I adjusted the drive to silent using Hitachi's tools to set AAM mode to silent.

Tested dual HD record with pre-recorded HD playback. No stutters evident. Also tested Dual HD record with 30s timeslip on one of the HD channels, again no problems found. FF at 30x, although nothing like SD speed is still possible while dual recording with no problems on any of the recorded channels.

Think I can say this is a worker for anyone wanting to update.

The main thing is this drive is totally silent (with AAM on max) and even if not set to max AAM its still very quiet, probably more quiet than the original.
Qwakrz

Postby pcbbc » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:18 am

Thanks for the details.
I'm sure these will be of use to anyone upgrading a HD box.
pcbbc
Site Admin

WD7500AACS 750GB Western Digital GreenPower

Postby Jeff » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:47 pm

Thanks for the info Qwakrz, I have installed this HD and so far so good.
Just in case anyone's worried about the warranty, there's one of the screws holding the sky HD caddy (Thomson) which is covered with a sticker, maybe it could have been steamed off, I just poked straight through it ha ha, re-assembling the box I found a pain, and I'm sure an engineer would know it's been tampered with if it had to be returned.
:lol:
Jeff

Postby Qwakrz » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:23 pm

Or you could be lucky like me, the sticker on the bottom was only just attached on one corner. A quick lift with a knife and its folded back so if I do need to replace the drive I can stick it down properly and it looks like new.

So far the 750GB GP WDC disc has not caused any problems. From time to time you can hear it start up and click once when you first turn the unit on but apart from that its silent and not caused any problems.
Qwakrz

Postby Jeff » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:10 pm

My sticker was bang in the middle lol.
The second day of using I recorded 2 HD programmes (not at the same time) and they both jammed up part way through, but it's been ok since.
Onewas Norah Jones in concert of which I was really enjoying, don't expect anyone else had the same problem.
Jeff

Postby pcbbc » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:34 pm

From what I've heard the HD box isn't that great at dual recording, especially with two HD recordings and being asked to playback at the same time :oops:
pcbbc
Site Admin

Return to HDD Compatibility & Reviews