Sky HD drive not recognised

Any other questions about the software?

Re: Sky HD drive not recognised

Postby mchristie2 » Mon May 03, 2010 3:48 pm

hi there

i misinformed you when i said deleted recordings...when i first looked for the sky HD disk it couldnt find it so i deleted the volume on it....and when i refreshed it was able to see the sky hd drive in copy+.
im doing it again now as we speak....it is copying successfully from the source drive 120gb external to the destionation 500gb usb device...im doing it as big endian this time.
when i checked the sky hd drive as a source it showed the programmes as little endian ?? i deleted the volume and and now copying again....
mchristie2

Postby pcbbc » Mon May 03, 2010 4:01 pm

mchristie2 wrote:I misinformed you when I said deleted recordings... When I first looked for the Sky HD disk it couldn't find it, so I deleted the volume on it and when I refreshed it was able to see the Sky HD drive in Copy+.
OK

I'm doing it again now as we speak....it is copying successfully from the source drive 120gb external to the destination 500gb usb device. I'm doing it as big endian this time.
Yet again your terminology is confusing me.
There's no such thing as "doing a copy big endian". Do you mean you have converted the source disk/image to big and are now doing a copy separately?

When I checked the Sky HD drive as a source it showed the programmes as little endian ??
Then for some reason the conversion didn't complete successfully.
Regardless, this is almost certainly thr reason why your box wasn't booting.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby mchristie2 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:07 pm

hi

yes i copied the sky+ data to external hd and converted to big endian as ive checked and the amstrad 890 is using big endian. so im now copying the data from external hd to sky hd drive and the format i want to copy it as is big endian so that it hopefully works in the sky hd box.

i thought id done this 1st time round but like i say when i checked in the copy+ source before starting it was showing the data as little endian....fingers crossed it completes ok this time.
mchristie2

Postby mchristie2 » Mon May 03, 2010 5:08 pm

It worked !!!

i must have not saved it corectly first time - sky hd has now booted up and working with programmes copied from sky+ box....fantastic piece of free software and your support is better than that of many blue chip helpdesks....i work in IT for HP and prev IBM and your support is as good as them.

ive given small donation as appreciation of your great work....

thanks m8

michael
mchristie2

Postby pcbbc » Mon May 03, 2010 5:26 pm

mchristie2 wrote:I work in IT for HP and prev IBM and your support is as good as them.
I worked for IBM too a while back.

I've given small donation as appreciation of your great work....
Actually an extremely generous donation - thank you very much. :D

Good luck with your new box and do not hesitate to get in touch if there is anything I can help with in the future.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby raviktiwari » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:13 am

Hi Stuart,

I really admire and appreciate the time and effort that you have put in to support your people and that is why I am bothering you, expecting a quick, positive and working response.

Before I start I would like to give you a little background... I am using Sky+ box, so wherever I say HD or HDD, it would bean HardDrive and NOT SkyHD...

Now:
My Sky+box was giving some problem like starting after 2 hours or even more... so I decided to have a look under the bonut, fix the issue on HD and then out it back in the Sky+box... So I opened the box, took out the HD, connected to my Desktop HD (IDE COnnection) system was able to register it in BIOS and with your software, I took the image of relevant recording that I wanted to keep (65 GB /145 GB) and saved it on my Desktop system which has 40GB HDD and 30GB space free.

So the question is: how did I save 60GB data on a 20GB disk... the answer is, I connected my 1TB external HDD (Segate), which has 4 partition 250GB each to my Desktop and one one of the partition I saved it.

Then I went to Disk Management and deleted the partiotion for the SKy+HD, formatted the HDD using Partition Magic and in FAT 32 format.

Now the issue is: how do I restore the image that I saved on my PC?

I choose, the path for the file name but in below "Destination", I can not see the HD. I checked it in Disk Manager and also the BIOS, the HrdDisk is available and see at both the places.

SO if you can help me with it, it would be highly appreciable.

Please note that I need to use the same HD that I was in the sky+box.
Plus, I don't have a spare storage device which can be formatted to FAT32 and that too for storing 65GB.

I hope I have given you all the information... However, if you wish to ask me anything, please free to call / emial me antime.

Thanks and Regards,
Ravi
raviktiwari

Postby pcbbc » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:28 am

Hi Ravi,
Thanks for your post and feedback.
raviktiwari wrote:Then I went to Disk Management and deleted the partiotion for the SKy+HD, formatted the HDD using Partition Magic and in FAT 32 format.
Here's your mistake.
Delete the partition you have created using Windows Disk Management or Partition Magic. Please make absolutely sure you have the correct disk selected before you delete anything!
Copy+ does all of its own formatting to the special XTVFS FAT32 format that Sky+ and Sky+HD uses. Windows utilities can not do this correctly, even though WIndows reports that the XTV format "looks like" FAT32 and is partially readable.
Once you have done this, the disk will then show up in the destination drive drop down.

Hope this helps and good luck with the remainder of your copy!
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby raviktiwari » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:30 pm

Thanks for getting back promptly Stuart.

I did delete the partition using Windows Disk Manager and tried restoring the image file, but the Sky+ HD did not show up, so I used the XTViage option and gave the path of SKy+ drive....it gave me an error saying that the destination path is not formatted and returned back to main screen....

That is why I went ahead and formatted it using Partition Main in FAT32 format.

Now if you are telling me to delete the partition, is there a specific way to do it? And after that how do I make Copy+ recognize the Sky+ Harddisk in the destination folder? Which software or tool do I use?

I have the image of the recording/planner backup that I took using Copy+ on my external HDD, which is getting detected by Coopy+ software but SKY+HDD is not showing up in the destination folder.

Thanks and Regards,
Ravi
raviktiwari

Postby pcbbc » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:15 pm

raviktiwari wrote:Now if you are telling me to delete the partition, is there a specific way to do it?
Select the partition in the graphical view of the disk in the bottom section of Windows Disk Management
Right click on it and select the DELETE option - Alternatively press DELETE on the keyboard

If it still has a drive letter assigned it isn't deleted!

And after that how do I make Copy+ recognize the Sky+ Harddisk in the destination folder? Which software or tool do I use?
It is automatically recognised as a destination if it doesn't have any existing partitions/volumes on it and it is initialised as a basic MBR (not dynamic or GPT) disk. If Copy+ is already running you will need to restart or click "Refresh".
If you have converted it to a dynamic or GPT disk, convert it back again with the convert option (dynamic and GPT are only options on Vista, W7 etc).

If you have deleted them successfully, and it is a MBR disk then it will be listed!
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby raviktiwari » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:36 pm

Did not realize you responded in 45 mins. I was waiting for an alert to come in my mail... silly me.. :-(

Am going to do whatever you just suggested and will get back to you in few mins.

Thanks and Regards,
Ravi K.Tiwari
raviktiwari

Sky HD drive not recognised by Copy+

Postby draken » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:12 pm

Hi.

I have the same problem as others here. Unfotunately I haven't found a solution by reading this thread.

I have an 80 GB drive from a Sky+ machine (Pace PVR 2) which Copy+ doesn't see. It is not offered as a source option. (Copy+ does see the destination drive.) However, Windows (XP Pro) sees the source disc within Disk Management, and can see the disc and it's contents in Windows Explorer.

The disc is listed correctly in the BIOS (and I have manually initiated disc detection from the BIOS to be sure).

The disc was working perfectly when installed in the Sky+ box. The box has never crashed since the disk was installed about six months ago.

Some things I have tried -
Connected via USB caddy
Connected direct to the PC via IDE cable
Connected via USB caddy on a second PC
Reinstalled the disc in the Sky+ box and run a Planner Rebuild
Reinstalled Copy+.

Nothing has helped. Copy+ can still not see the disc. (The disc still works perfectly when reinstalled into the Sky+ box.)

This problem is a little strange, since I installed this disc using Copy+ six months ago without problems. In fact I did so (via direct IDE connection) using one of the two PC's on which Copy+ will not now see the disc (both IDE and USB connections have been tried on this PC).

Is there anything else that I might try?

Thanks.
draken

Postby kanpa » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:12 am

Apologise for raising this old post from the dead but it looked the most relevant to my problem.

I have a Darwin SKY HD EPG and the hard drive has failed. I am resigned to the fact that I have lost my recordings so that part is ok. My problem is that I have a replacement drive that I put into the sky box after removing the old partition using windows (essentially making it a new disk even though it has been used in another pc somewhere) and have gone through a sky rebuild cycle both on the front panel and from the remote yet I am not able to live pause or record as I get the message that the system is being initialised - even after leaving it over night.

I guess my question is what state should the replacement drive be in, in terms of partition etc etc as I assumed (probably wrongly) that as I am only using a 500Gb drive, the sky box would do the rest and I wouldn't need Copy+ to get the correct sizing?

This is the first time tinkering with a sky box so any help greatly appreciated.
kanpa

Postby donuldvan » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:05 pm

pcbbc wrote:Probably you have a corrupt BIOS Parameter Block / Boot Record.
I shall send you a program for fixing it to your forum registration e-mail.

I'm having exactly the same problem. Are you able to help me aswell please?!
donuldvan

Postby sophiawhite » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:04 pm

I have just successfully upgraded to 2 x 160 Gb Maxtor drives (which incidentally provide 330 hours max according to system info).

I am now attempting to install the driver for the Turbonet card using Silicondust boot cd and instructions.

At each attempt I get the message "no Tivo drive detected"

My Tivo A drive is the secondary master, and is unlocked. Linux sees it with its correct name (hdx) and size.

If I try to use mkdir and mount commands for partitions 4, 7 & 9 I get the "you must specify file system type" warning for ALL 3 partitions.

The jumper is set to master and I am only using the A drive (B back in Tivo).

Why is my Tivo drive not recognized?
sophiawhite

Postby pcbbc » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:27 pm

This is a forum for Sky+ boxes, not TiVo.
As a result you're unlikely to find (m)any people round there that can help with TiVo.
Sorry.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Copy+ General Support