Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750GB external

Which replacement drives can you use and which do people recommend?

Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750GB external

Postby martin » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:10 pm

I upgraded my Sky HD last week using Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750GB external. I used a SATA to ESATA cable purchased from www.scan.co.uk, i can confirm it works, great whispher quiet, only minor issue is that i've set it to go into powersave after 15min inactivity, it can take 5 -10 secs to spin up the disk. Cable needs to be seated well at Esata end, i had to file the rubber surround by a 1mm. Love the orange glowing light.
martin

Re: Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750GB external

Postby pcbbc » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:39 pm

martin wrote:I upgraded my Sky HD last week using Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750GB external. I used a SATA to ESATA cable purchased from www.scan.co.uk, i can confirm it works, great whispher quiet, only minor issue is that i've set it to go into powersave after 15min inactivity, it can take 5 -10 secs to spin up the disk. Cable needs to be seated well at Esata end, i had to file the rubber surround by a 1mm. Love the orange glowing light.
Cool. :D
How does the SkyHD box handle the power save mode? For example if it is about to record something? Does the delay cause any problems?
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby martin » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:44 pm

No noticeable issues when recording (Ive been recording a lot more now :-)). Sometimes the planner doesn't show straightaway, but I normally switch to anytime and then back to the planner and it is there. Also noticed a much better performance than the original disk, eg. no stutters when recording 2 HD channels while viewing a recorded HD program. Fast forward and rewind are much better.
NB: I left the orginal disk in situ with the fan connected, I thought it might affect the airflow.
All seems to be working great.
martin

Postby pcbbc » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:45 pm

Cool.
Another satisfied customer :D Ahhh....
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby mike » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:16 pm

martin wrote:I upgraded my Sky HD last week using Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750GB external. I used a SATA to ESATA cable purchased from www.scan.co.uk,

Hello
just received the new sky+ hd and was wondering, does the sky box have to be split open to connect the cable or are we using the sata socket on the box?
Cheers
Mike
ps happy new year everyone!
mike

Postby pcbbc » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:02 pm

mike wrote:I just received the new sky+ hd and was wondering, does the sky box have to be split open to connect the cable or are we using the sata socket on the box?
Sorry. ESATA and USB sockets on Sky+ and SkyHD boxes are not functional.
Here's a guide to dismantling the SkyHD box.
HNY, Stuart.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby mike » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:16 pm

Many thanks, the guide is excellent, I'll probably wait for the warranty to run out before I do this mod
Regards
Mike
mike

Return to HDD Compatibility & Reviews