Upgrading Samsung HDSKY

Which replacement drives can you use and which do people recommend?

upgrade failed after a few weeks

Postby wonderboy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:35 pm

Well this morning I wandered into the living room to a very loud whining noise - sky HD in standby & I thought the PSU fan was going crazy, but it turns out that the HDD was the cause. Replacing the original seagate in the samsung cured the problem. Not having much luck.
wonderboy

Postby wonderboy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:40 am

Returned the faulty hard disk to seagate and have now received replacement which is now in the Sky HD box doing a grand job (so far).
wonderboy

Postby pcbbc » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:28 am

That's good news. Better luck with your replacement.
Hopefully it will turn out to be one of those random new drive failures which do occur once in a while unfortunately.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Samsung drive dies after 9 months

Postby skituscanycom » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:19 am

Following nearly 9 months use during which time there were box resets about twice a week on average, my Samsung spinpoint 1TB has died.

Recommendation: Don't use it in the Samsung box.

I've now ordered the Seagate ST31000533CS. Will let you know how it goes!
skituscanycom

Re: Upgrading Samsung HDSKY

Postby ToggY » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:14 pm

Good luck with the Seagate ST31000533cs.

I've tried the Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ with NO joy, using a Samsung hd box!. After 5 or 10 mins and it would self reset even when using external power to caddy.

where have you bought the Seagate from skituscanycom? I see Ebuyer sell it.
ToggY

Postby skituscanycom » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:16 am

Yes, eBuyer. £67.77 inc. VAT and free 5 day delivery.

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?q=ST31000533CS&x=20&y=11
skituscanycom

Postby ToggY » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:54 am

All eyes on you Mr skituscanycom!

I'm pulling my hair out on which drive to buy without wasting money. The Samsung HD103UJ I already had, just had to delete my Windows 7 installion! :(
Backup was made though.Pheww!

There is a Hitachi drive that may work. Have you tried? http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150256

Anyway the drive you have picked looks promising, fingers crossed for you.

With your previous drives you had tried, have you noticed fans in Sky box run faster and louder, or is it just me?
ToggY

Postby skituscanycom » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:37 am

Following re-installation of the original 300GB drive, I was amazed at how quiet the box was - so I guess that this means the Samsung Spinpoint was noisy and/or causing the fans to run faster/louder.

Other symptoms you describe I have experienced about twice a week.
skituscanycom

Postby skituscanycom » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:42 pm

I'm pleased to report that after nearly a week, the Seagate ST31000533cs has proved to be flawless and whisper-quiet.

What's more, the power ratings at 5v and 12v are significantly lower than even the original disk - it runs so cool that I've never heard the fan cut-in - EVER!

Once again Copy+ did a great job and recovered most programmes from the Samsung disk, even though my SkyHD box had rejected it as dud. Only one problem - the 95% full 1TB disk took over 24 hours to copy :o

By the way, I went for the cheapskate free 5 day delivery from eBuyer. Contrary to most other suppliers, this didn't mean that I got next day delivery on the cheap - NO! I had to wait the full 5 days :mrgreen:

Good luck to anyone else who tries it.
skituscanycom

Postby pcbbc » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:24 pm

Glad everything went well.

skituscanycom wrote:By the way, I went for the cheapskate free 5 day delivery from eBuyer. Contrary to most other suppliers, this didn't mean that I got next day delivery on the cheap - NO! I had to wait the full 5 days :mrgreen:
Yep, that's eBuyer for you. They must have a big warehouse somewhere where they hold everyone's 5 day orders until they are ready for dispatch!

When I used to live in Nottingham they used to use Sh1tty, sorry CityLink, as their couriers - CityLink's "Nottingham" depot is based 8 miles away in Ilkeston Derbyshire (half way to Derby)!
Not only that the card they put through my door one day was with the Leicester depot address and contact details on it - Doh! Luckily I phoned them first and confirmed it was actually the Ilkeston depot giving out incorrect cards.
Oh, and one order (not from eBuyer but still delivered by CityLink) never arrived and got returned to the supplier. Excuses were "we couldn't find your address" the first time, "left a card" the second call (obviously NO card) and as proof said "You've got a white door". Yeah right - Just like about 75% of the rest of the houses in the country.

I suppose we can't really blame them for their choice of couriers, but despite their good prices I've now decided not to order anything from them if I want in a hurry...
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby ToggY » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:32 pm

Great news! :)

My spinpoint f1 has just died on me in my Pc. :evil: (I could smell burning then did nothing except click,click....). Hope this wasn't due to me putting it in sky box?

So as its not very old, Ebuyer has agreed to change it for a similar spec model because they have sold out of the original one. I will try the Seagate ST31000533cs in the samsung skyhd box and just hope i get the same results as you. wish me luck.

Thanks skituscanycom
ToggY

Postby pcbbc » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:55 am

ToggY wrote:Hope this wasn't due to me putting it in sky box?
You can NOT break a HDD simply by using it, be that in your PC or Sky box.
Sure, if you dropped it or otherwise abused it - but not if used according to the instructions.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby ToggY » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:59 pm

I'm having bad luck I suppose. when changing hdd around im sooooo careful how I handle them.
Its just annoying when things go wrong and you cant fix them yourself! :) But hey, one cant fix everything on this planet.

Good job for backups and backup utilities like Copy+
Last edited by ToggY on Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ToggY

Postby skituscanycom » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:18 am

Just to let everyone know that the Seagate ST31000533cs hard drive is still working brilliantly in my SkyHD+ :)
skituscanycom

Postby ToggY » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:39 am

Excellent!

I'm just waiting for Ebuyer to get back to me, then I'll be try the Seagate out for myself.

Thanks again
ToggY

PreviousNext

Return to HDD Compatibility & Reviews