Tips: Viewing Card Pairing

Precisely that. FAQs, hints and tips to help you out. This is a closed forum.

Tips: Viewing Card Pairing

Postby pcbbc » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:38 pm

Sky viewing cards are usually "paired" with a particular box - that is the box and card are tied together by their serial numbers.
A card can only be paired with ONE box at any one time. To change the pairing you must call Sky and they will send out a signal to update the card and re-pair it with your specified box.
Here's a list of what is and what is not possible, depending on what type of card you have.

I beleive I have got this all correct, but sometimes this confuses even me! Please let me know if you think I have made a mistake :o

Watch Live TV
FTA Channels - No card necessary
FTV Channels - ANY card
Standard Pay Channels - ANY subscription card with a valid subscription to the required channel (no need to pair)
Premium Pay Channels - Paired card with a valid subscription to the required channel

Record TV - A card with the Sky+ features enabled PLUS:
FTA Channels - Any card
FTV Channels - Any paired card*
Standard Pay Channels - Any paired card* (Note: no need for valid subscription until playback)
Premium Pay Channels - Any paired card* (Note: no need for valid subscription until playback)

Playback Recordings - A card with the Sky+ features enabled PLUS:
FTA Channels - Any card
FTV Channels - Original card used to make recording* (Note: no need for pairing)
Standard Pay Channels - Original card used to make recording* with a CURRENTLY valid subscription to the channel (Note: no need for pairing)
Premium Pay Channels - Paired, original card used to make recording* with a CURRENTLY valid subscription to the channel (Note: MUST be paired)

*Otherwise recording interrupted displayed on playback

Definitions:
FTA (Free To Air) Channels - Those that can be watched without a viewing card (e.g. BBC, ITV etc)
FTV (Free To View) Channels - Those that are encrypted so require a viewing card to watch, but are not part of the Sky package so are free (e.g. C5 etc)
Standard Pay Channels - Sky Mix channels
Premium Pay Channels - Sky Movies and Sky Sports channels
Last edited by pcbbc on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby pcbbc » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:53 pm

And consequently some FAQs, and their answers, derived from the above:

I'm going on holiday/to a friends and there is a Sky/Sky+ box at the holiday home/caravan/my friends. Can I take my card with me and use it in their box?

Yes - But without repairing, you will only be able to view the standard Mix channels your card entitles you to and NOT any premium channels (movies or sports).
Also, if it is a Sky+ box, you will only be able to record and successfully view the FTA channels.

You could of course call Sky and get them to repair your card. This is probably okay for a one off, but if you do it repeatedly Sky will get suspicious.
For caravan use on a regular basis I suggest taking your box with you - Effort, but you will also have access to your recording library while away.

I've upgraded to HD - Can I still watch the recordings made on my old box?

Yes, but not any of the premium channel recordings (movies or sports).
Simply temporarily transfer the original card used to make the recordings back to the Sky+ box.
Note you will still need to have a current subscription to the require channel, and have the Sky+ box connected to at least 1 feed from the dish.

To re-enable viewing of the premium channel recordings you will need to repair your card.
I'm not sure what Sky's position would be on this though, as it should be obvious you are moving from a SkyHD box back to SD. it might cause some hassle because you'd have to drop the HD mix.

For anyone upgrading I seriously recommend copying over your old recordings to your new box with Copy+ to avoid all this agro - well I would say that, wouldn't I? ;)
pcbbc
Site Admin

Return to Copy+ FAQs, Hints & Tips