Old request

Tips on changing them - what's the easiest way, how to make your fans quiet, etc?

Old request

Postby rodzilla2005 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:05 pm

Can somebody answer to my request.... 6 months old but not forgotten....
Doubts about upgrading

Postby rodzilla2005 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:57 pm
Hi. I have a Thomson with a 1Tb hard disk but started to have problems of ‘freezing image’. I bought a 2Tb HDD but I was unable to install it in my Thomson. I bought an Amstrad because I read was the one which could manage a 2TB HDD. I used copy + but when I installed the HD I had a ‘system fault’ . I had to make a reset and now I am not sure but I think the capacity is 1T instead of 2Tb. I read through this forum and I learn that I needed a pre-Darwin image. I got it. My question is: after coying the pre-Darwin image, will I have a 2Tb HDD? If it is possible to recover all the movies I had previously in my 1TB HDD.
At this point , I have spent a lot of money and I would not like to lose them.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Regards, José

rodzilla2005

Re: Doubts about upgrading

Postby rodzilla2005 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:02 pm
Hi,
nobody has answered me. I tried the 2TB with the vanilla image , lost all movies, but it seem the disk is not 2 but 1TB, ist it possible? any way to measure it? please.... help!

rodzilla2005

Re: Doubts about upgrading

Postby rodzilla2005 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:09 pm
After all this mess, and money, i have a 2TB disk, with seems to be less than 1TB of capacity and all the movies lost........ :oops: :oops: :oops:
Please I NEED SOME HELP IN THIS MATTER!!!!!

rodzilla2005

rodzilla2005

Re: Old request

Postby kos129 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:20 pm

All darwin boxes (any Sky+ HD box except the Thompson) will accept drives up to 2TB. If the drive is formatted by the sky box (using a "full system reset"), it will be formatted to a size of just below 1TB. Formatting using your pc (with copy+ and a pre-darwin image or otherwise) will allow you to format to the full 2TB (saying that, I am not totally sure if the pre-darwin image method still works as there have been reports that the recent sky firmwares no longer support converting from the old format...).

You can tell what size the disk is formatted to by looking at it in windows explorer with it connected to your pc. If it is formatted to 2TB it will show up as having a size of about 1.81TiB (it is not 2TiB due to the difference in units between how the hard drive manufacturers measure it and windows measures it). Note that around 500GB will be reserved for anytime functions and will not be available for user recordings (this is a limitation of the sky box).
kos129

Postby spedwards » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:30 pm

"All darwin boxes (any Sky+ HD box except the Thompson) will accept drives up to 2TB"

Is this really the case? I ask because many forum posts repeat a line that only Amstrad boxes will go beyond 1Tb?

I'd like to either:

1) Take the 1TB disc from my Thomsom (big endian) unit and put it straight into a newly acquired Samsung HDSKY unit, which is also big endian. Should this work?

or

2) Take the 1TB disc form my Thomson, copy it to a 2TB Samsung disc and put that into my Samsung unit. Should this work?

All the other posts that I have read so far have said that (2) won't work because 1TB is all the non Amstrad boxes support. When did this change?
spedwards

Postby kos129 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:28 pm

The other boxes probably started to support larger drives with the darwin update, in any case many people have had success with > 1TB drives in non-amstrad boxes (including me, I have used a 1.5TB drive in my samsung without any problems).

Now, transferring from the Thompson (which is the only pre-darwin HD box) may be a problem. It used to be the case that the darwin boxes could convert from the old planner format used by the Thompson, but I have seen reports that this is no longer working (the new box would not list any of the old recordings). If this is the case then there is unfortunately no current way to copy recordings from the Thompson to the Samsung.

If you want to simply upgrade your Samsung to the 2TB drive without copying recordings, this is possible, but the box will only format it to just under 1TB. There is PC software available to format the drive to the full 2TB.
kos129

Postby spedwards » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:43 pm

Thanks, that's good information.

The samsung that I've just acquired has pre-darwin firmware. So I think I could probably just do a simple drop from the old box without any trouble since its 1tb. But I'm caught in a tough decision because copyplus won't let me update to a larger drive after the darwin format has been applied to the source drive.

My Samsung 203 2Tb drive won't spin up, and the new Pipeline drives are all 4k sector units so I need a recommendation for ones that will work in a Sammy over 1Tb.

1 Do I let it update to Darwin first with its original drive?
2 Do I copyplus first to a 1.5tb/2tb drive - which one do you use?
3 if I do 2 what happens during the update process to Darwin.

Until I know how to proceed I'm keeping the box well away from a dish feed.
spedwards

Postby spedwards » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:48 pm

I think I have this sorted out in my head now. From the Darwin FAQ...

"If the destination disk is over 1TB then the destination box must have received Darwin, otherwise you will observe recording corruptions and overwrites on the copied disk when you start using it."

So I need to do the following.... In this order.

Backup the empty pre-darwin image of the Samsung 320Gb disc to my PC (Others may want a copy of this by the look of it, but there's no practical use for me as far as I can see?)
Connect the Samsung (with the 320Gb disc back in it) to mains power and a dish feed, and force a firmware update - this will bring Darwin to the system.
Find a suitable 1.5Tb or 2Tb drive that will work with the Samsung (all suggestions welcome)
Backup the Thomson disc 1TB image onto my PC using Copy+
Use copy+ to copy the saved image from my Thomson unit to the newly purchased large drive.
Put the large drive into the Samsung box.
Perform a planner rebuild.
Insert the viewing card into the Samsung and get Sky to pair the unit and the card.

Or have I missed anything?

If I'm right the biggest remaining questions are
Which drives larger than 1Tb work in a Samsung SkyHD box?
And does the HDD sector size still matter in a Darwin box?

Does anyone know the answer to these?
spedwards

Return to General HDD replacement discussion