Thomson HD box to Amstrad DRX890 + HDD Upgrade

Tips on changing them - what's the easiest way, how to make your fans quiet, etc?

Thomson HD box to Amstrad DRX890 + HDD Upgrade

Postby daveb99 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:00 pm

I've used the search facility on here but can't find anything which answers my exact question...

I have a Thomson HD box (the one with component) which is running the "new" EPG (upgraded itself last year) but from what I understand, it isn't running Darwin (because Thomson boxes can't).

It is being replaced, FOC, by Sky on Thursday 6th with what I assume will be an Amstrad DRX890, from what I've read.

I'm keeping my Thomson box (agreed with Sky, and have it in writing). I'd like to do 2 things (at the same time!) -

1. Upgrade the HDD in the Amstrad to at least 1TB
2. Transfer all my recordings from the Thomson to the Amstrad.

From reading on here, I'm not sure what the exact process is. I think it is possible using Copy+ because I don't have Darwin. Can anyone confirm if this is the correct process, using Copy+ :

1. Create an XTV image of my old (pre-Darwin) drive, which will of course include all the recordings
2. Load the image onto the new drive
3. Install the new drive in the Amstrad box
4. Switch it on and it will update itself to Darwin, and keep the recordings (I hope!).

Any help would be much appreciated!
daveb99

Re: Thomson HD box to Amstrad DRX890 + HDD Upgrade

Postby LondonChap » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:14 pm

daveb99 wrote:Can anyone confirm if this is the correct process, using Copy+ :

1. Create an XTV image of my old (pre-Darwin) drive, which will of course include all the recordings
2. Load the image onto the new drive
3. Install the new drive in the Amstrad box
4. Switch it on and it will update itself to Darwin, and keep the recordings (I hope!).

That sounds spot on to me ... although I have never gone via the "XTV image" route. I have always done a straight disk-to-disk copy in one go using two caddies.

I can recommend the Seagate Pipeline series of HDDs (which is actually what you will find in the Amstrad already when you open it).
LondonChap

Return to General HDD replacement discussion