Caddy Enclosure?

Tips on changing them - what's the easiest way, how to make your fans quiet, etc?

Caddy Enclosure?

Postby steveocole » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:20 pm

Hi Guys,

I am about to upgrade my Sky Samsung HD box with a Western Digital WD10EVDS 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 32MB.

I am looking to use an external caddy as I would like to attempt to use Extract+ to backup recordings an watch them on my pc.

I know I am going to have to route the sata cable out of the HD box, however I am unsure as to what caddy would be the best? Would Sata to Esata work? how would I go about doing this? does anyone have any idea what Caddys have worked before in the Past? I know the HDD needs to be powered on before the Sky box?

Thanks for your time

Steve
steveocole

Re: Caddy Enclosure?

Postby pcbbc » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:07 pm

No idea sorry.
But I would think any SATA or eSATA caddy would work so long as it allows direct connection to to SATA interface - which I assume most do?
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby steveocole » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:31 am

Ok thanks,

I am going to attempt to do this on the weekend, Will let you know how it goes.

Steve
steveocole

Postby Joey » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:53 pm

Assuming your PC has SATA there's really no need for a caddy at all. Just remove the hard drive from the skybox and connect it to your PC, job done.
Joey

Postby jeallen01 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:48 pm

:cry: :cry:
steveocole wrote:Hi Guys,

I am about to upgrade my Sky Samsung HD box with a Western Digital WD10EVDS 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 32MB.

I am looking to use an external caddy as I would like to attempt to use Extract+ to backup recordings an watch them on my pc.

I know I am going to have to route the sata cable out of the HD box, however I am unsure as to what caddy would be the best? Would Sata to Esata work? how would I go about doing this? does anyone have any idea what Caddys have worked before in the Past? I know the HDD needs to be powered on before the Sky box?

Thanks for your time

Steve

See here:http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-hd-supertelly/29001-how-upgrade-your-sky-hd-box-hdd-6.html.
Still working fine, but not much further forward as I still need a pre-Darwin image to initialise the other two disks I have sitting in caddies :-(

John
jeallen01

Return to General HDD replacement discussion