Hard drive gone

Tips on changing them - what's the easiest way, how to make your fans quiet, etc?

Hard drive gone

Postby Guzzista » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:22 pm

Hi
Im new here , did a google on my problem and ended here as i hope someone here might point me in the right direction.
Im danish , live in denmark and have a PACE TDS850NV from VIASAT.
Hard drive is dead wont start tried connectin it to my pc but it doesnt work . so i took machine apart and found i had a drive almost matching .
but machine still doesnt work , so i guess i need some drivers or firmware to get the machine to see the drive or what ?
Oh i took it apart before connecting to pc :-)
Hope you understand my english.

Cheers Steen Franta
Guzzista

Re: Hard drive gone

Postby pcbbc » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:40 pm

Guzzista wrote:Im danish , live in denmark and have a PACE TDS850NV from VIASAT.
Hard drive is dead wont start tried connecting it to my pc but it doesn't work. So I took machine apart and found I had a drive almost matching.
But machine still doesn't work, so I guess I need some drivers or firmware to get the machine to see the drive or what ?
Boxes in the UK work these days without a hard drive at all (although there was a time on a previous firmware release where not having a drive, or if the drive was dead, this used to stop the box from booting up - that is now fixed).
Not sure what the situation is with the VIASAT Danish firmware, as I don't have any experience with it - sorry :o

All you should need to do with a new disk is perform a "Full System Reset". Instructions for UK boxes are here.
Unfortunately your box may well be different as is the case with other boxes around the world.
Suggest consulting Danish forums to see if you can find out the correct way to "Full System Reset" your box.

For UK boxes (even prior to the fix mentioned above) a disk that had not been Full System Reset did not stop the box from booting up. So if you have attached the drive correctly then there is most likely something else wrong with the box (as well as the broken disk). Seems unlikely though, 2 faults...

NP with your English (very good in fact). Hope you can understand my reply. :P
pcbbc
Site Admin

Return to General HDD replacement discussion