Upgrade Samsung SKYHD500 or Amstrad DRX890

Tips on changing them - what's the easiest way, how to make your fans quiet, etc?

Upgrade Samsung SKYHD500 or Amstrad DRX890

Postby kollo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:37 am

Hi, I have 2 Sky HD boxes, an Amstrad DRX890 (which came with my Sky deal) and a Samsung HD box (500gb model approx 1 year old which I have just purchased 2nd hand). I would like to upgrade 1 box, ideally to 1.5TB or at least 1 TB if this is easier. Which box is considered easier to upgrade and which hard drive is recommended to use, there seems a good bit of info on the Amstrad but not much available on the Samsung. Any advice is much appreciated.
kollo

Re: Upgrade Samsung SKYHD500 or Amstrad DRX890

Postby kollo » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:45 pm

Just wondered if anyone knew what would happen if I did the following;

As the Samsung is new to me it will have no recordings on it, if I installed the HDD from my DRX890 into the Samsung would it work?

If I installed a blank 1TB drive into the DRX890 would it just format it and work, my DRX890 has the Darwin update on it, or do I need to do anything to the HDD before fitting it to get it to work with the full 1TB allocated?

Any replies and help much appreciated. 8)
kollo

Postby pcbbc » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:00 pm

Only the Amstrad supports disks over 1TB. Make sure you read and understand the Darwin FAQ (see forum) and how it impacts upgrading any HD box.

HDD from Amstrad may well work in Samsung, but no guarantees as boxes can sometimes be fussy about drive makes and models. As you do not care about recordings, advise performing a Full System Reset in the new box to ensure the drive is formatted correctly.

Not sure what the DRX890 will do with disks over 500GB.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby kollo » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:11 pm

Many thanks for your reply.

I have bought a 1TB Western Digital HDD (AV model), it appears this would have been a simple enough job before Darwin, but not so now. I am sure I read somewhere that the DRX890 could accept drives up to 1TB just by installing them, but I have searched and read so much I cant find the details anymore, the more I read the more conflicting info I seem to find. I think I may just fit the 1TB drive and see what happens. If I cannot get it to work, I take it just replacing the drive back to the original 500gb will just get me back to where I am now?
kollo

Postby pcbbc » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:11 pm

I briefly tried a 1TB in my DRX890 and couldn't get it to FSR correctly. However I have seem others report success.
Yes, if you can not get it to work then if you put the original drive back (not so easy with the DRX890/5!) you will be back where you started - no harm done.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Return to General HDD replacement discussion