DRX890-r Upgrade

Tips on changing them - what's the easiest way, how to make your fans quiet, etc?

DRX890-r Upgrade

Postby monkeyboyuk30 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:36 pm

Hi Guys.

Just upgraded my Sky+ HD box to a 1TB pipeline drive.

My box is obviously using the new Darwin Firmware so I am unable to use Copy+

However I did install the drive and do a full system reset and all seems to work well.

I then installed the 1TB drive into my PC to check the partition size etc, the box has formatted the drive to full capacity but shows it as FAT32?

My original Hard drive shows as a sky format something like FTV_XTS or something,

Just wondered why it sees the new drive as FAT32??

Any ideas

Cheers
monkeyboyuk30

Re: DRX890-r Upgrade

Postby pcbbc » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:06 am

monkeyboyuk30 wrote:I then installed the 1TB drive into my PC to check the partition size etc,
IIRC partition size usually shows correctly (the entire disk is a single partition to the full extent of the drive). Everything in disk management looks okay.
However the space actually formatted within that partition is usually substantially less. This is reflected in the available disk space as reported by right click properties in Windows Explorer / My Computer etc.

the box has formatted the drive to full capacity but shows it as FAT32?
All Sky disks are formatted with a bespoke variant of FAT32 with custom extensions for storing large video files.
It's always been FAT32 in Disk Management, although....

My original Hard drive shows as a sky format something like FTV_XTS or something,
The title of the disk is XTV_STR_DSK. This is completely different from anything to do with format, although also shows in Disk Management. Perhaps you were confused?

The FAT32 variant use has the unofficial monica of "XTVFS" after the XTV system of NDS, it's designers.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby PeteW » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:07 pm

monkeyboyuk30 wrote:Hi Guys.

Just upgraded my Sky+ HD box to a 1TB pipeline drive.
My box is obviously using the new Darwin Firmware so I am unable to use Copy+
However I did install the drive and do a full system reset and all seems to work well.
Cheers

Hi monkeyboy
Just spotted this thread after I posted on another thread regarding getting the case off the exact same Sky HD box.
Can you assist?
Do you need to remove the screws at the bottom of the box which are down a deep, thin hole? If so what type of screws are they?
Any other tips to safely getting the case open without wrecking it appreciated :-)
PeteW

Postby pcbbc » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:45 pm

There is a guide with pictures in the forum for the DRX890/5 models.
Yes, remove the screws.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Return to General HDD replacement discussion