Amstrad DRX780 UK-C & Samsung HD103SJ 1TB issues already

Which replacement drives can you use and which do people recommend?

Amstrad DRX780 UK-C & Samsung HD103SJ 1TB issues already

Postby aerostorm » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:10 am

Hi all
I have an Amstrad DRX780 UK-C HD box & have just installed a Samsung HD103SJ 1TB drive as an upgrade to the standard 320 GB Western Dig drive that came with the unit originally! I used the Copy Plus 1.2.0.8 version (plus the XTVFS driver running to protect my original HD) & it copied the data from the 320 GB drive succesfully to the new 1TB drive .. no problems at all on the copy process!

Now firstly, once completed Copyplus said the original 320 GB drive was now in a dodgy state & should not be put back in the box as it would erase all the data on this drive!

But I thought : "What the hell, I have a new shiny 1TB drive anyway so no matter!"

Closed everthing back up & powered up the box! Everything went fine & dandy .. at first! But since then (about a week ago) I've had 2 lock ups (never had any before in the 18 months I've had the box!). These both occured when I was trying to record something & do a live pause playback at the same time!

Now I'm aware that this sissue has been mentioned before on this forum but wondered if its resolvable at all? Cos I'm totally feeling having the new drive with its much larger capacity! But I'm concerned about reliabilty issues and further lock ups/crashes in the future! And it does also seem a little odd as the new Samsung drive has I expect a higher spec than the original WD drive? Or maybe thats nothing to do with it!

So, any advice would be massively appreciated & all suggestions are very welcome!
Thanks in hopeful advance
Daniel
aerostorm

Re: Amstrad DRX780 UK-C & Samsung HD103SJ 1TB issues already

Postby pcbbc » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:07 am

Hi,
Sorry you seem to be having problems.

These kinds of issues are usually either:
a) Incompatibility of the selected drive. Nobody knows what makes drives compatible or not, except through experiment. Search the DigitalSpy forums to see if anyone else has tried this model and had similar problems.
b) A problem with the hard drive. Brand new drives can be delivered faulty, either due to manufacture or transit. Check the disk with the Samsung tools for errors.

Nothing to stop you copying back to the 320GB. It's not the drive that is at fault, but the data on it.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Re: Amstrad DRX780 UK-C & Samsung HD103SJ 1TB issues already

Postby aerostorm » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:01 pm

Hi pcbbc & many thanks for the heads up!

The reason I chose this drive was that I believe a few people had already used it with the same box model & had so far experienced good results! Maybe its different with different boxes?

Hmm, I hadn't considered that the drive might be faulty! Thats definately worth checking out!

As to the original 320GB drive, as far as I could tell it was fine when it was pulled from the box, but then showed up as 'corrupted'? when it was copied from using Copy Plus! Is there any way in which I can 'repair' the data on this drive just so I have a backup of the original recorded data on that drive?

As always I greatly appreciate your help on this! I have used your software before when moving form a Sky+ box to my now Sky+HD box & had no problems last time! (that said I was using both the drives that came in the boxes originally!)

Thankns again pcbbc!

Daniel
aerostorm

Return to HDD Compatibility & Reviews