DRX890 and WD20EVDS 2TB - Compatible

Which replacement drives can you use and which do people recommend?

Re: DRX890 and WD20EVDS 2TB - Compatible

Postby jimdunleavy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:09 pm

Did the swap today, decided to use the 1.5Tb drive, setup all of my recordings and the useage bar is tiny compared to before, thanks once again for the vanilla image. :D
jimdunleavy

Postby Gaspode » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:57 am

Hi Guys .. OK - Thoughly confused now.

I've used the excellent Copy+ several times now over the years but this thread is making my head spin.

OK - so I've seen issues with big and little endians, darwin, epg versions ect.

Can I have a recomended path for moving from a Samsung to putting a 2TB in a DRX890 with best options for keeping old recordings (I dont even want them all - just a few if it helps) and not keeping old recordings. I was just going to copy from my Old samsung - now I can see that proberbly isnt going to work with the whole darwin lark. (Keeping the old box as a switchable spare is still an option - just not my prefered one).

Many thanks

John
Gaspode

Postby pcbbc » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:14 am

The situation with regard to Darwin is as follows:

Source / Destination
NO / NO - Use Copy+ 1.2.0.8 as long as destination disk is under 1TB, or is the OEM supplied 1.5TB unit for a DRX890/5. Under NO circumstances transfer to any other disk larger than 1TB.
NO / YES - Use Copy+ 1.2.0.8 - We believe this now to be safe for any size destination disk (drives over 1TB probably still ONLY work in Amstrad boxes - TBC)
YES / NO - Will never be possible. Wait for the destination box to receive Darwin.
YES / YES - Transfers with Copy+ are NOT currently possible - Wait for the rewrite to support this.

Edit - How do I tell if I hae Darwin?
a) Network option for connecting to your broadband router in the setup menu
b) You'll have got the "open source software" prompt the first time the box booted after the update
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby Gaspode » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:23 pm

Thanks PCBBC.

Ok - Thanks for that - so the suggestion for the new amstrad box is leave it alone or max to 1TB for now.

I do have an 780C That has a WD20EARS 2TB in it. What will happen when/if Darwin hits the 780? To be honest I'm ok if I have to loose all the recordings - but is there any thing else thats likeley to happen ?

Many thanks

G.
Gaspode

Postby pcbbc » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:05 pm

Gaspode wrote:Ok - Thanks for that - so the suggestion for the new amstrad box is leave it alone or max to 1TB for now.
As the new Amstrad boxes will almost certainly have Darwin, you have no choice but to "leave it alone" as Copy+ is not compatible with them.
The only option if you have an Amstrad box is to use it as a destination from a box which does NOT have Darwin.

I do have an 780C That has a WD20EARS 2TB in it. What will happen when/if Darwin hits the 780? To be honest I'm ok if I have to loose all the recordings - but is there any thing else thats likeley to happen ?
My guess (and it is only a guess, because I have no advanced knowledge of the Sky software and how it will be coded for different models) is that you will have the same overwriting problems experienced by the DRX895 owners recently.
As soon as you get Darwin you should make one small recording and then run the Darwin Alignment Fixer, which will identify and fix any issues.
You have to wait for Darwin to arrive as there is no way to make non-standard drives bother forward and backward compatible with the alignment used pre and post Darwin.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby Gaspode » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:31 pm

pcbbc wrote:
Gaspode wrote:Ok - Thanks for that - so the suggestion for the new amstrad box is leave it alone or max to 1TB for now.
As the new Amstrad boxes will almost certainly have Darwin, you have no choice but to "leave it alone" as Copy+ is not compatible with them.
The only option if you have an Amstrad box is to use it as a destination from a box which does NOT have Darwin.

My guess (and it is only a guess, because I have no advanced knowledge of the Sky software and how it will be coded for different models) is that you will have the same overwriting problems experienced by the DRX895 owners recently.
As soon as you get Darwin you should make one small recording and then run the Darwin Alignment Fixer, which will identify and fix any issues.
You have to wait for Darwin to arrive as there is no way to make non-standard drives bother forward and backward compatible with the alignment used pre and post Darwin.

Ok

Many thanks

G.
Gaspode

Postby Gaspode » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:08 am

pcbbc wrote:

The 2TB drive on the 780C was formated using 1.2.0.8 - WIll i still need the the alignement adjustment ?

Many thanks

G.
Gaspode

Postby jeff1 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:57 am

Hello

I am looking to upgrade dx890 hard drive but not sure which hard drive is compatible for this box.
So could you pls help me on this?

Thank you
jeff1

Postby manhar » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:06 am

Jerome32 wrote:
pcbbc wrote:
jedpause wrote:- if I am not copying, how does Copy + initialize the disk? Do I use drop down target disk and find disk? And I guess then it pops up the windows initialization dialogue box?
This has to be the most asked question about Copy+.

You must copy from an initialised disk. Copy+ requires some preinitialised files from a donor disk in order to make a new one - even if the disk is empty it contains some pre-initialised files that Copy+ can not create from scratch.

If you do not have a donor disk, do a FSR on the disk in the Sky box and then a backup and restore with Copy+ to obtain full capacity.

Jedpause's question is more perceptive than he realises!
With the current DRX890 system software (Operating System Version SYSF26.28.05/EPG Software Version 38.2.1.6_1), Copy+ 1.2.0.7 Beta does not appear to recognise the hard drive natively initialised with a FSR - at least this is the case with my recent experience!

He will therefore require an existing donor disk image created from a box running previous software. Once initialised with Copy+, the 2TB drive can then be used with full capacity in the DRX890.

Interestingly, once the Copy+ initialised 2TB drive is installed in a DRX890 with the latest software and any recording is made, removing it and scanning it with Copy+ will find that the drive is no longer recognised! Note that this is my own experience only - it might not necessarily be the case for everyone else.

Jedpause: If you need a "vanilla" xtv image to initialise your 2TB drive, please let me know and I will forward it (10MB file zipped to 650KB - easily emailed). I created this image as a backup on my PC prior to the latest box updates and it contains no recordings. This is the image I used to initialise my own 2TB drive after problems with the recent system software updates. I have had no issues with my DRX890 ever since - all works fine including the Anytime service (qv other postings of Anytime crashing boxes post system updates).

Jerome do you still have that vanilla xtv image and if so may I have it please?
manhar

Previous

Return to HDD Compatibility & Reviews