Western Green

Which replacement drives can you use and which do people recommend?

Western Green

Postby buttkicker » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:58 pm

Hi guys
pretty new to this upgrading Sky box hard drive stuff, but as I understand it 1tb is the largest drive my Samsung box can take
and I see some of the recomendations here are older drives (not too old) - but quiet is what I am after - and was wondering about this drive which has a whopping 64mb of cache
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA-II 64MB Cache - WD10EARS
this drive appears to be one of the latest 'Green' drives and is supposedly very quiet.... so has any one any idea if this drive will work with a samsung box???

on a different note I bought a samsung spinpoint F3 1tb for my PC and its as fast as hell.. but also really noisy so no way on earth would I reccomend this drive for any sky box

I was going to pull the trigger and buy this western digital drive but have something nagging away that it might be noisy and also it might not work!!

thoughts please
great source of info on this site guys well done
buttkicker

Re: Western Green

Postby pcbbc » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:14 pm

Cache size is generally irrelevant to functioning of Sky boxes. So it's not worth spending extra for it.
The green range are apparently the once to go for, as they are optimised for low heat and quiet operation.
If worried about noise, use the AAM tool to set the drive to quiet mode first (assuming it supports this feature).
Sorry, can not say for certain if the drive you have selected will or will not work - but hope the above helps.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby Gabe62 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:07 pm

No.... BEWARE of Caviar Greens !!!!

I have just tried the Caviar Green 64MB 5400 rpm 1TB HDD and it stutters like hell on audio.

Apparently these drives have some wierd optimisiation system that allows very low power consumtion and noise.

Not happy at all in my Thompson HD box.

The last two Samsungs F1 and F3 worked just fine though.

I have made a seperate post of this issue as it is important.
Gabe62

Postby shifty27 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:26 pm

Im pretty sure the WD green series have a spin down time which is not good for a pvr that want's constant access i.e. rewinding, recording, searching etc:

for more information on this read reviews on amazon UK and newegg US (biggest computer parts seller in US):
shifty27

Return to HDD Compatibility & Reviews