new replacement drive for Thomson DSI8210

Which replacement drives can you use and which do people recommend?

new replacement drive for Thomson DSI8210

Postby Squeaker » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:33 pm

Hi all.

My 2-year old Thompson sky+ box is dying, and, going by information on here and other forums, it sounds like the HD is conking out (faling to record, planner unavailable, REALLY noisy drive.)

So I'm going to bite the bullet and try changing the drive. I seem from the list at http://www.geocities.com/skypluswss/hdd.htm that a good choice would be the Western Digital WD3200AVJB, but do I have to use copy plus before I install the drive, or can I just put it straight into the sky box, as I have nothing stored on my planner at the moment anyway, and let the system just update itself by forcing a coftware update?

Thanks for any help with this, I've never opened a sky box before!
Squeaker

Postby SQ » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:56 pm

I updated the same box yesterday with a 500gb Seagate that I had spare.

Great software Copy+, it was really easy to do and I left it running taking about 2hrs.

I'm a bit of a dabbler so I was going to experiment with a 1Tb sata drive and an “ide to sata” converter.

We fit sata drives in DVRs for the security industry and find the Samsung ones low noise with little heat and most importantly very reliable, so by the end of the week I should have tested this one also.

I will let you know how I get on.
SQ

Postby pcbbc » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:09 pm

Good luck!
Look forward to hearing how you get on.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Re: new replacement drive for Thomson DSI8210

Postby SQ » Thu May 06, 2010 8:15 am

Hi all.

Just a quick note.

Sorry for the late update as I forgot all about the post but had a reminder this moring that someone else had replied.

I got the 1TB drive working but the IDE-SATA convertor would not fit as it was hitting some other components on the PCB so I left the 500GB drive in.

I have seen some smaller IDE - SATA convertors that are available now for around £10 so I may give it another go!

Paul.
SQ

Return to HDD Compatibility & Reviews