SkyHD Wiping Issue With Hitachi Deskstar 1TB.

Which replacement drives can you use and which do people recommend?

SkyHD Wiping Issue With Hitachi Deskstar 1TB.

Postby AvidHotstuff » Mon May 12, 2008 9:54 pm

Came in today and noticed none of my programmes in the planner would play , when i pressed select the remote red light flashed to confirm presses but did nothing else.
Drive had 30% remaining.
So i unplugged the box and removed the card and restarted it after re-inserting the card.
When i got back to my planner it was empty and 100% free.

Is this an issue with the box updating that caused my programmes to fail do you think?

I did have a programme saved that was recorded over a year ago.

And also now that my box has returned with 100% free on my Hitachi 1TB Deskstar, will it be using the drive with roughly 700 odd GB free?
Or will i have to do any preps to ensure it is using all of the available space , apart from Sky's dedicated amount obviously.

My system details:
Manufacturer : Thompson
Model No: 607120Q
Version Number: 4E3004
Serial Number: ****** Ask if you need it Stuart
Operating System Version: 1.32A0B
EPG Software Version: 5.02.fHD
Last edited by AvidHotstuff on Tue May 13, 2008 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
AvidHotstuff

Postby AvidHotstuff » Tue May 13, 2008 9:34 am

I did have to use the copy+ tool to copy over an old programme , which did set the drive to use all of the available space.
Programme copied over works fine , which would rule out a conflict with an update.
I can only assume the Hitachi ran into a CRC error or similar and wiped the drive when i unplugged it.
AvidHotstuff

Postby pcbbc » Tue May 13, 2008 10:02 pm

AvidHotstuff wrote:I did have to use the copy+ tool to copy over an old programme , which did set the drive to use all of the available space.
Programme copied over works fine , which would rule out a conflict with an update.
I can only assume the Hitachi ran into a CRC error or similar and wiped the drive when i unplugged it.
Sorry you've lost your recordings. :o
This seems to be an intermittent problem with the Sky firmware, upgraded and OEM drives alike. It's been around for a while. See this thread on AV Forums.

I have a theory that if the Sky software detects what it thinks is a really serious problem with the disk or file system that it can not recover from, it will spontaneously reformat the drive.
Not exactly helpful if you ask me, and of course it precludes any attempt to subsequently remedy the siltation or for me to actually work out what was wrong. :(
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby AvidHotstuff » Sat May 17, 2008 2:57 am

pcbbc wrote:
AvidHotstuff wrote:I did have to use the copy+ tool to copy over an old programme , which did set the drive to use all of the available space.
Sorry you've lost your recordings. :o
This seems to be an intermittent problem with the Sky firmware, upgraded and OEM drives alike. It's been around for a while. See this thread on AV Forums.

I have a theory that if the Sky software detects what it thinks is a really serious problem with the disk or file system that it can not recover from, it will spontaneously reformat the drive.
Not exactly helpful if you ask me, and of course it precludes any attempt to subsequently remedy the siltation or for me to actually work out what was wrong. :(

Thanks stuart , but as with all aftermarket modifications , it's a risk.
At least i have my most important recordings backed up.
I just hope it's infrequent , this is the first time it happened since i installed the HDD 8 months ago. :wink:
AvidHotstuff

Return to HDD Compatibility & Reviews