Sky Hd and Hitachi 1TB Deskstar issue

Which replacement drives can you use and which do people recommend?

Sky Hd and Hitachi 1TB Deskstar issue

Postby Hi-Def Dude » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:25 pm

I Recently updated my Hd drive to the 1TB Desk star model using the excellent copy + programme!
However, since then I have noticed I can no longer watch a recorded program whilst Recording two others.
Has any one else experienced this problem?
I set the acoustic management to it's lowest setting with the hitachi tools and wonder if it could be anything to do with the increased seek times at the quietest setting?
Appreciate any feedback.
Hi-Def Dude

Postby pcbbc » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:44 pm

Hi - Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been away for a bit.

Sorry you've had problems, but this is unfortunately one of the risks of upgrading.

I don't think anyone has definitely pinned down the cause of such problems. It could be anything from increased power requirements or seek times as you suggest. I would start by changing the AAM setting back, and see if it makes a difference.

Reporting back on your Sky box model and exact HDD model number would help others avoid your combination.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby Hi-Def Dude » Thu May 01, 2008 1:14 pm

Hi,
I haven't got round to this yet, I can't face pulling the box out of my media tower, pulling all the cables and stripping it down again, lol!
When I do I shall post my results.
I hope resetting the acoustics works, otherwise It's an annoyance I shall have to tolerate!
Anyone had any better results with other 1TB Drives?
Please post and let the community know.
Regards
Hi-Def Dude

Postby Hi-Def Dude » Sun May 04, 2008 3:08 pm

Hi,
Since we are experiencing our usual lousy bank holiday weather, I decided to tackle the drive problem.
I reset the acoustic management from "quiet" to "normal" using the hitachi desk tools.
Results have been promising. Recorded two HD sources whilst watching a third recorded HD programme. Recorded two HD sources whilst watching one on 1 minute timeslip, also rewinded and fast forwarded.
No stutters or pixellization evident!
Downside is it now sounds like a japanese cicada cricket in mating season, but I can crank the Arcam amp up to overcome this and it is worth it to have the functionality back!
Here's the sytem details for anyone thinking of upgrading:
Sky HD box: Thomson 607120Q
Operating system version: 1.32AOB
EPG version: 5.02.FHD
HDD: Hitachi deskstar 1TB (HDS72101OKLA330HDIDE)
Regards
Hi-Def Dude
Hi-Def Dude

Postby AvidHotstuff » Wed May 07, 2008 7:25 pm

I have my Hitachi Deskstar 1TB on quiet mode and i have no issues recording 2 programmes and watching another recorded.
AvidHotstuff

Postby pcbbc » Wed May 07, 2008 7:33 pm

Interesting - Perhaps you wouldn't mind posting your details like Hi-Def Dude?

Sky HD box: Thomson ?
Operating system version: ?
EPG version: ?
HDD: Hitachi deskstar 1TB ?
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby AvidHotstuff » Thu May 08, 2008 3:06 pm

pcbbc wrote:Interesting - Perhaps you wouldn't mind posting your details like Hi-Def Dude?

Sky HD box: Thomson ?
Operating system version: ?
EPG version: ?
HDD: Hitachi deskstar 1TB ?

Will do mate will check it later
AvidHotstuff

Return to HDD Compatibility & Reviews