Possible corrupt Sky HD drive

Any other questions about the software?

Possible corrupt Sky HD drive

Postby smartin » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:49 pm

hi there,

I had a problem with Sky+/Live Pause/recording functionality on my Thomson HD box. Got error message saying Sky + functionality not available and to call Sky for assistance. The error code was 2H-52. Neither Planner Rebuild or System Reset would help as both options just went back to the menu rather than rebooting the box.

There was nothing listed on the planner even though it was over 80% full before the problem. Have tried Copy+ and everything on the disk could be seen and copied to my PC over without any error messages. I deleted the partition on the disk and then copied everything back over to the Sky disk.

Connecting up the Sky HD box again comes up with exactly the same problem. After several attempts I can get the Sky HD box to function properly if I don't copy over any of my old recordings but if I copy even one recording over the Sky+ functionality vanishes and Planner rebuild etc won't work again.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Martin
smartin

Re: Possible corrupt Sky HD drive

Postby smartin » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:01 pm

Hi again.

Is it possible that there is something on the original sky box drive that is corrupted and keeps being copied back onto the drive whenever I use copy+ to put one of my old recordings back onto the drive?

Any help would be appreciated

Martin
smartin

Postby pcbbc » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:21 am

Probably - As a last resort you can try replacing the system files from the root directory for one from a working disk. One that you have full system reset and then gone into the planner will do.

Files you absolutely must keep:
JOPA (and variants, e.g. JOPA.DB3) - Yoru planner database!
OTVERT.MAP (and variants)
ROOTDIR.CP0 (and variants)
SETUP.DAT

When replacing files it is best to use the windows command line prompt, and definitely not to use Windows Explorer to delete files because that will create a recycle bin on the disk. Not usually fatal, but best avoided if at all possible.

You will also need to use WriteProt to remove any write protection from the disk first and uninstall the read only drivers (if you used them).
Plus some of the files are hidden or system and you may need to remove these attributes with the ATTRIB command before you can see/modify them.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby smartin » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:28 pm

Hi

That appears to have done the trick. I tested it last night and copied over the last 5 episodes of 24 and when I connected the box back up again, all my Sky+ functions were still working and a very short test of the first of the copied over episodes seems to suggest that it will work OK.

Before I copy over the rest of my recordings I think I'll watch what I mamaged to copy over so far - just in case that was a fluke!!!

Thanks for your help and for a great piece of software.

Martin
smartin

Postby pcbbc » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:35 pm

Glad I could help.
I think that is very wise. When you start messing around with the system at this kind of level, there is no telling what might happen.
Therefore, as you say, probably best to watch stuff while you can :S
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby rafeeqmanamal » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:38 am

I am having an Indian DTH HD STB with Recorder - Airtel. Since last two days, my STB is not recording anything. It gives me a message "you have to connect hard disk with minimum 80gb". I opened my STB, remvoed the HDD and connected it with a usb adaptor to my pc. Extract+ does not show anything in my hdd, even though it was 40% recorded (out of 320gb). I tried formatting the hdd to fat32 with label XTV_STR_DSK and connected to STB but still it is not recording. I tried removing all paritions in hdd but no luck. Now my stb is not showing my recorded programs. I think the hdd should have some programs in its root folder. Can you send me those files?
rafeeqmanamal

Postby kos129 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:01 pm

The format used by sky is not FAT32, it is similar but there are some important differences. Formatting it on your PC using standard tools will not work. If you just want to format your current drive, you can do so by following http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/tv/sky-pl ... index.html (hopefully the procedure will be similar for your box, if not then it should be listed somewhere in it's documentation).
kos129

Return to Copy+ General Support