Sky HD drive not recognised

Any other questions about the software?

Sky HD drive not recognised

Postby Benny Boy1 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:47 am

Hi,

I have scoured the forum but can't find anyone with the same problem. I am trying to copy a backup image to the PC, then back to the new WD EVDS 1Tb drive.

Sky HD drive removed fromt he box (it's a WD3000 JS). I am using an external SATA to USB connector. When I plug the drive into the USB on the PC (Vista), it is not recognised in Copy+, but it is recognised in Computer Manager as 'Disk 1 Unknown, Not initialised.'

I also tried it in my XP laptop, but it doesn't get recognised at all. So back to the PC.

To validate the SATA - USB connector I connected the new drive to it. This was detected in Computer Manager for the drive it was, brand new, so I initialised it as explained in the Copy+ instructions. All done, no problems and this drive then appeared in Copy+ as a valid drive....

So the problem I have is that Copy+ does not recognise my old 300Gb Sky HD drive and so I can't make a copy of it. I assume that I should NOT initialise this drive as that would, I guess, wipe the contents of my old recordings? Or do I need to initialise it to move forward and make it recognisable by Copy+?

Grateful for any ideas.

Ben
Benny Boy1

Re: Sky HD drive not recognised

Postby pcbbc » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:53 am

Probably you have a corrupt BIOS Parameter Block / Boot Record.
I shall send you a program for fixing it to your forum registration e-mail.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby primitive » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:24 am

Hi

I have the same problem! I've used copy+ in the past without issue but this time I was upgrading from 750Gb to 1TB and things went badly wrong. Anyway problem is that Copy+ cant see my 750Gb drive but Win XP can see it fine and shows all the folders etc. Is this a corrupt boot sector? If so how do you fix it?

Cheers

Nick
primitive

Postby pcbbc » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:58 am

Sorry to hear about your problems.
The first thing to do is usually look at the Copy+ log file from C:\Program Files\Copy+.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby primitive » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:40 am

Although I did manage to get copy+ to read the 750Gb drive when I started the copy process everytime I actually started the copy my PC crashed! Finally sorted that problem out by disabling the anti virus (stupid me!) but by then Copy+ could no longer read the disk. I suspect that somewhere through the process windows corrupted the disk and the XTV partition was deleted. I managed to restore the XTV partition which has enabled windows to see the disk and all its contents again but Copy+ does not recognise it anymore. I've got the 1Tb disk running by using an XTV image file I had so my Sky HD box working again but it would be good to get some of the old recordings off the old drive. Thanks for any help you can give.
primitive

Postby primitive » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:45 am

I have looked at the copy+ log but the log appears to only cover the successful copy of the XTV image file and nothing about the 750Gb disk. I guess this maybe because the PC was crashing everytime I tried to do the copy. Is there anyway I can get copy+ to read my old 750Gb drive? As I mentioned before windows can see the drive and lists all the files but copy+ does not recognise it.
primitive

Postby robmorley123 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:00 pm

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. Same 300Gb WD3000JS original drive that is recognised in disk management (not intialized) but not seen by copy+ as a source drive. Destination drive (1TB) is available and initilized. Both are in USB caddies attached to Vista laptop, running 1.2.0.5 beta as Administrator.

Could you send me the program to fix boot record?

Many thanks.
robmorley123

Postby steve123a » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:04 pm

Im having the exact same problem running 12.0.5, won't recognise the WD 300gb drive, have initialised the Seagate 1tb and sees that OK.

Could you send me the file? Thanks Steve
steve123a

Postby Gadgetman Andy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:42 pm

Hi there,

I have a similar problem. I am installing a new Western digital 1TB drive in place of 300Gb WD3000JS, in Thomson HD box. Windows XP disk management tool can see the new 1TB drive, but no matter how many ways I try I cannot get it to read my Sky Drive. I deleted all the programmes in the planner on the sky box before removing the drive, so as to make copying quicker.

So therefore as I have no copied programmes to copy across, could I plug the new 1TB drive into the box, and do a system reset 'Services 401 SELECT', or is there another function on Skycopy+ that would enable me to just plug in the new 1TB drive. I downloaded the XTV prgramm because of the problems with XP creating a restore point, but it is an empty file, what am I doing wrong please?

Andy
Gadgetman Andy

Postby pcbbc » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:57 pm

Gadgetman Andy wrote:So therefore as I have no copied programmes to copy across, could I plug the new 1TB drive into the box, and do a system reset 'Services 401 SELECT'
Yes, but you would only format the 1TB disk to 492GB capacity.
You would then need to do a backup and restore in Copy+ to obtain full capacity.

Or is there another function on Skycopy+ that would enable me to just plug in the new 1TB drive.
Copy+ requires an original formatted disk to copy the system files from. It can not create these initialised files from scratch.

I downloaded the XTV prgramm because of the problems with XP creating a restore point, but it is an empty file, what am I doing wrong please?
The XTVFS Read Only Drivers do you mean?
The download is working fine here. Clear your browser cache and try again.

Or do you mean an XTV Image file? There are no downloads for that. :?:
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby Gadgetman Andy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:49 pm

pcbbc wrote:
Gadgetman Andy wrote:So therefore as I have no copied programmes to copy across, could I plug the new 1TB drive into the box, and do a system reset 'Services 401 SELECT'
Yes, but you would only format the 1TB disk to 492GB capacity.
You would then need to do a backup and restore in Copy+ to obtain full capacity.

Thank you for the reply, I will try this option first

I downloaded the XTV prgramm because of the problems with XP creating a restore point, but it is an empty file, what am I doing wrong please?
The XTVFS Read Only Drivers do you mean?
The download is working fine here. Clear your browser cache and try again.

Or do you mean an XTV Image file? There are no downloads for that. :?:

Sorry yes I did mean the XTVFS read only drivers, but I am not sure what to do with them. Do the drivers work automatically when I run Copy+ or do I have to open the folder first. I will download the file again I think as Windows explorer shows the file as empty.
Gadgetman Andy

Postby pcbbc » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:20 pm

Gadgetman Andy wrote:Sorry yes I did mean the XTVFS read only drivers, but I am not sure what to do with them. Do the drivers work automatically when I run Copy+ or do I have to open the folder first. I will download the file again I think as Windows explorer shows the file as empty.
You need to install them using the installer. You PC will then reboot and yo should be protected. There will be an "uninstall" option added to the start menu,
The drivers sit silently in the background, and whenever they see an XTV volume (disk) attached to the system they set the write protect bit ON.

However this is just an added bit of security. You do no need the drivers at all for Copy+ to work, and indeed the latest versions of Copy+ also set the write protect on all XTV disks it comes across.
The difference is that the drivers will see a new drive the moment it is attached to the system before anything else can get hold of it and are always active. Copy+ will only protect the drive when it first accesses it and only when an attempt is made to detect new drives (program startup or forced "refresh").
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby Gadgetman Andy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:54 pm

pcbbc wrote:
Gadgetman Andy wrote:Sorry yes I did mean the XTVFS read only drivers, but I am not sure what to do with them. Do the drivers work automatically when I run Copy+ or do I have to open the folder first. I will download the file again I think as Windows explorer shows the file as empty.
You need to install them using the installer. You PC will then reboot and yo should be protected. There will be an "uninstall" option added to the start menu,
The drivers sit silently in the background, and whenever they see an XTV volume (disk) attached to the system they set the write protect bit ON.

However this is just an added bit of security. You do no need the drivers at all for Copy+ to work, and indeed the latest versions of Copy+ also set the write protect on all XTV disks it comes across.
The difference is that the drivers will see a new drive the moment it is attached to the system before anything else can get hold of it and are always active. Copy+ will only protect the drive when it first accesses it and only when an attempt is made to detect new drives (program startup or forced "refresh").

Hi PCBBC,

You are a very helpful person thank you very much for your explanation of how everything works. I initialised the new drive in the Sky box, and then using Skycopy+ re formatted the drive to 1000GB. It is now all put back together again, and I am just waiting for a Free to view card from Sky so that I can soak test it, before I swap the viewing card over with Sky from my old box. So I willl let you know how it all goes shortly.

Also there was no green themal pad on the previously installed hard drive, do I need to acquire one of these to help with heat disappation, or will it work fine without?
Gadgetman Andy

Postby pcbbc » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:32 pm

Gadgetman Andy wrote:I am just waiting for a Free to view card from Sky so that I can soak test it, before I swap the viewing card over with Sky from my old box. So I willl let you know how it all goes shortly.
With a FTV card you will not be able to record or use any of the Sky features (unless you pay £10 pcm).
Much better to use your current card, with which you will be able to record and playback from FTA channels (BBC etc) as a test.

Also there was no green themal pad on the previously installed hard drive, do I need to acquire one of these to help with heat dissipation, or will it work fine without?
I really can't say, sorry.
The original was put there for a reason, so I'd be inclined to keep it. But not quite sure how you'd go about acquiring one if yours has been lost. I wouldn't worry too much about it if I couldn't acquire one easily.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby samurai » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:55 am

I have western digital 300gb WD3000JS SATA HDD and found that it is showing no information at BIOS except the wrong size i.e. 0 GB.
Can someone please help me in this regards?
samurai

Next

Return to Copy+ General Support