Possible Error Locking and Dismounting Source Drive Fix?

Any other questions about the software?

Possible Error Locking and Dismounting Source Drive Fix?

Postby dragon934 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:43 am

Hi, first time poster but used Copy+ several times, Quite a long post but please bear with me, I've included as much info as possible in the hope it might help somebody.
Earlier on I had that dreaded "Error Locking and Dismounting Source Drive) while trying to copy a 500GB WDc WD50, after searching it seemed this was a long time unsolved error (unless I missed the solution... in which case I apologise for clogging up the board!)
I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate and installed the XTVFS Drivers before installing Copy+ (and rebooted) so I dont know if it would have happened before installing them. I also tried Safe Mode to no avail.
Anyways.... After reading a few comments I realised it was more likely the OS or possibly Antivirus (I'm only using Microsoft Security Essentials at the moment)
Turned off live scanning and issue still remained. So I dug out my old Hiren's Boot CD (v10.2 though I doubt it matters) and booted up mini XP. installed copy+ (obviously found on the HDD where you left it... and i mean the download not the program...) it installed fine and after a little warning about not looking for updates cracked on doing its job! I know its not ideal but at least I got it working without having to find another PC.

After 10 mins the program seemed to hang which I doubt is Copy+'s fault as God knows what sort of tinkering is on miniXP so I restarted my PC to attempt again. Forgetting to change the boot order I accidentally booted into my real windows 7 again. So I thought what the hell and tried it on W7 again. This time it worked flawlessly. I also noticed that the Autoplay window popped up in the background recognising an XTVFS drive before opening copy+.
Now the only thing I have done differently this time is that as I hadn't restarted Security Essentials live scan it was still showing as off. When I switched it off earlier I hadn't thought to reboot. This time I had logged into a clean session without MSE ever starting its real time scan.

So I don't know whether it was my A/V, a random quirk (doubtful as I had rebooted several times before switching off my A/V) or whether windows hadn't aknowledged its XTVFS drives, OR more likely both!

Sorry about the long winded post, and even sorrier (is that a word??) if there is already a simpler solution out there. my punishment will be having written all this for nothing lol!

I should point out finally, that the only reason I was using copy+ is because my brothers Sky+ box has decided to drop the + part of its job and ignore the HDD and even though he tried a rebuild, it didn't want to know. works fine on a USB caddy, so just imaging it before testing it sector by sector and if it passes going to re-image the drive as it was before. I thought a dodgy disk might have been the reason for the error (the copy+ error) initially but seems unlikely doesn't it? As for the Sky+ issue does the 7200 RPM spin up issue still affect the boxes or did a firmware upgrade rectify it. I only ask incase this HDD is prehaps spinning up a little slower after 3 years of constant use.

Thanks for reading and I hope somebody can find my post helpful if they pick the bones out of it. Basically even if turning off your A/V doesn't work try miniXP or something similar. (Dont forget to take precautions with the checkdisk features etc.)
dragon934

Return to Copy+ General Support