Copying non-Darwin to Darwin on a new box

Any other questions about the software?

Copying non-Darwin to Darwin on a new box

Postby LordStress » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:34 pm

Today I received a replacement SKY+ HD after my Old Thomson one had developed the well documented power supply fault.

Prior to the swap out, I saved an image of the old hard disk using Copy+ as I had some recordings I wanted to keep.

The Sky engineer arrived installed the new Amstrad box, initialised it and then left. So far so good.

Later in that day I opened up the new box, connected up the hard disk to a usb sata adaptor with a view to restoring the backed up image onto the new box.
Unfortunately the disk although showing in windows did not show in the Copy+ menu as a source or destination drive. Delving deeper into the FAQ I ascertained that the new box was running Darwin :-(

Here is my question(s)
1) If I delete the new disks partition in windows, will the disk then show up in Copy+ as a destination drive. I am guessing it will?
2) If I then copy the backed up image onto the new disk, then put the disk back into the new box with the pre-Darwin image and then power it up, will the box reinstall Darwin and at the same time recover/convert my recordings into the new system?
3) I would like a back-out plan if things go wrong. As I can't make a backup of the Darwin disk, I would like to know how to recover the system to a usable state, all be it with an empty planner if things go pooh. Would deleting the disk's partition then rebooting prompt the box prep the disk from scratch without any other action from me. Or can someone point me in the right direction as to how to do a clean/install boot on a skybox with a blank disk just in case it comes to that. I ask this as my only experience of hard disk installs thus far is in PCs, where in most cases you can't just plug in a new drive and expect a computer to boot.

Thanks in advance
LordStress

Re: Copying non-Darwin to Darwin on a new box

Postby LondonChap » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:32 pm

LordStress wrote:1)If I delete the new disks partition in windows, will the disk then show up in Copy+ as a destination drive.

Yes.

LordStress wrote:2)If I then copy the backed up image onto the new disk, then put the disk back into the new box with the pre-Darwin image and then power it up, will the box reinstall Darwin and at the same time recover/convert my recordings into the new system?

Yes. Although I wouldn't say "install" Darwin ... it's more like changing the file (or database) format.

LordStress wrote:3) I would like a back-out plan if things go wrong. As I can't make a backup of the Darwin disk, I would like to know how to recover the system to a usable state, all be it with an empty planner if things go pooh. Would deleting the disk's partition then rebooting prompt the box prep the disk from scratch without any other action from me. Or can someone point me in the right direction as to how to do a clean/install boot on a skybox with a blank disk just in case it comes to that. I ask this as my only experience of hard disk installs thus far is in PCs, where in most cases you can't just plug in a new drive and expect a computer to boot.

There's no problem there. As I said in my previous point, there isn't any Darwin on the HDD. The o/s is stored in flash memory. You can put any state of HDD in a Sky box and do a Full System Reset (blank, formatted, partitioned, full of files, full of recordings ... anything). The o/s in the box will format the HDD to what the box needs.
LondonChap

Postby LordStress » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:19 pm

For those following a similar path:

I can confirm that deleting the partition on the new disc allowed it to show up in Copy+ as a destination drive. I was then able to copy my saved image onto the new 500GB disk from the new Amstrad DRX890

When I powering up the box with the pre-Darwin image on the new disc, the Sky Digibox did the necessary conversion. It also displayed a screen informing me that it had done the upgrade.

Hay presto all done and dusted, all my saved programs and planner information were restored onto my new now post-Darwin box.

It is also worth noting that on the new Amstrad DRX890 I was able to connect my usb SATA connector to the disc drive in situ, so there was no need to dismantle the box and remove the drive. Just be careful when removing the power and SATA cables as the metal case has some sharp edges that can inflict damage to fingers. I found this out the hard way!

Thanks to LondonChap for the heads up and answering my questions succinctly.
LordStress

Postby Dai O » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:19 pm

LordStress wrote:For those following a similar path:

I can confirm that deleting the partition on the new disc allowed it to show up in Copy+ as a destination drive. I was then able to copy my saved image onto the new 500GB disk from the new Amstrad DRX890

When I powering up the box with the pre-Darwin image on the new disc, the Sky Digibox did the necessary conversion. It also displayed a screen informing me that it had done the upgrade.

Hay presto all done and dusted, all my saved programs and planner information were restored onto my new now post-Darwin box.

Just a quick question, this sounds like wot i need to do too
I want to copy the contents from a SKY+ box TDS470N 160GB HDD to a SKY+HD box Amstrad DRX890c 500GB HDD

Can you confirm if your source drive was also a 500GB HDD or was it something smaller??? As i'm no expert about coping images, will i have issues doing it from a 160GB to a 500GB??

Cheers
Dai O
Dai O

Return to Copy+ General Support