Copying from SD to HD with darwin

Any other questions about the software?

Copying from SD to HD with darwin

Postby asdfghjkl » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:42 am

Hi,

I want to copy from an SD sky+ box to a samsung hdsky with darwin epg.

i have read the thread of the person who managed to do so using a thomson hd box.

what i wandered is whether the following would work using copy+

-copy from sd disk onto a blank disk with hd, stating using copy+ that the new box will be an hd one
- copy from this disk, which now is hd compatible and has the sd recordings on it over to the samsung darwing hdd?

in other words, the same as the other persons method, but without the need for a pre-darwin box?

thanks
asdfghjkl

Re: Copying from SD to HD with darwin

Postby smpoulton » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:03 pm

The thing you must understand is that the SD and HD database (I believe) formats are different. Copy+ can recognize both of them but cannot convert the database itself. You need a pre-darwin HD box simply because this box can convert from the SD database to the HD database. The darwin boxes can only convert from the HD to darwin they have no procedure to upgrade from the SD one.
So to answer your question no you cannot do it without the intermediate box to convert it to the HD format.
smpoulton

Re: Copying from SD to HD with darwin

Postby LondonChap » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:04 pm

asdfghjkl wrote:
-copy from sd disk onto a blank disk with hd, stating using copy+ that the new box will be an hd one
- copy from this disk, which now is hd compatible and has the sd recordings on it over to the samsung darwing hdd?

in other words, the same as the other persons method, but without the need for a pre-darwin box?

thanks

No. Listen to smpoulton.

When you make that first copy you do not end up with "an HD one". It is just a copy. Copy+ can change from Big to Little Endian (if required) but it doesn't do anything that identifies the result as being an SD HDD or an HD HDD. That's not surprising really as Copy+ pre-dates the existence of HD !

It is only when you put the HDD into a Thomson (or any pre-Darwin box) and boot it up that the magic happens and the HDD is "converted" to an HD one.

Then, as a pre-Darwin HD HDD, can it be put into a newer "Darwin" box ... which will convert from "HD pre-Darwin" to "HD post-Darwin".

As has been said, a Darwin box can do this ... but it cannot convert from "SD" (obviously pre-Darwin) to "HD post-Darwin".

You are going to need a pre-Darwin HD box.
LondonChap

Return to Copy+ General Support