Process confirmation

Any other questions about the software?

Process confirmation

Postby MasterYoda » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:27 pm

My sky box died yesterday and I've got an engineer out on Thursday but I'm expecting to be given a refurb box. My old box is one of the original Thomson HD boxes and I don't think it's darwin but is there an easy way of checking? The FAQ explains methods that work when your sky box comes on :P

I've taken an image of my old drive and it's currently sat on my HTPC. I did this because I expect that the engineer will give me a new box and walk out with the old one (or am I entitled to ask to keep it?), not sure what the fine print is on a replacement.

Assuming all I'm left with is the new box can I then just remove the drive and restore my image to it or do I need to worry about whether the new box has darwin on it, whether its the same model etc?

Also if it's a small drive and I was to use this as an opportunity to upgrade can I restore my old box image straight to a new drive or should I do the in between step of restoring my image to the new box drive first and then do the upgrade?

I'll keep reading the FAQs to see if I can answer my own questions but any advice gratefully received.
MasterYoda

Re: Process confirmation

Postby smpoulton » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:46 pm

The Thomsons are pre-darwin at present. I would ensure you get a brand new box as SKY have been sending out letters recently offering SKY HD customers a brand new replacement for there old Thomson box.
smpoulton

Postby MasterYoda » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:04 pm

I thought that might be the case (the pre Darwin thing).

As to the new box option, the guy on the phone mentioned it to me but said he couldn't put it through the system as a new box order for me as I would only be eligible if I was able to take advantage of Anytime+ and that meant I'd have to take Sky BB as well.

Apparently he couldn't do it for a TV only customer. The Sky web site seems to back that up.
MasterYoda

Postby MasterYoda » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:30 pm

I have a new box and its an Amstrad dxr890 with Darwin on it.

Can I now just restore my Thomson image to the new machine and then let it do the drive update and it work? As for pairing, does is the serial number of the box stored on the hardware and thus was already done by the engineer this morning?

I'm thinking the best bet might be to get a new drive anyway and restore the backup to that and then place that in keeping the Amstrads original disk in tact and filed away somewhere safe. Opinions?
MasterYoda

Postby pcbbc » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:12 pm

MasterYoda wrote:Can I now just restore my Thomson image to the new machine and then let it do the drive update and it work?
Yes, this should work.
The state of the destination box is immaterial with regard to Copy+ as long as disk is 1TB or less. All that is important is the source image is pre-Darwin (which it should be if from a Thomson).

As for pairing, does is the serial number of the box stored on the hardware and thus was already done by the engineer this morning?
Sorry this sentence doesn't make sense. :oops:
As with any Copy+ use, the card used for playback must be the original card used to make the recordings in the first place.
If you have received a new card (new subscription) you are out of luck for anything other than Free To Air recordings.
If the card is working in the box for recording and playback of pay channels it has been paired successfully. If you get "recording interrupted" on playback of new pay recordings it has not been paired, or not paired successfully. Phone Sky.

I'm thinking the best bet might be to get a new drive anyway and restore the backup to that and then place that in keeping the Amstrads original disk in tact and filed away somewhere safe. Opinions?
Up to you.
The original Amstrad disk can always be restored with a Full System Reset at any point, so no need for a replacement drive unless you want.
If replacing disk I would always recommend keeping original for use in case of future box exchange, repair or sale.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby MasterYoda » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:43 pm

Thanks for the response. I get what you mean about my question not making sense but thankfully your response answered what I needed to know anyway.

I'll try to get a 1TB drive tonight, try the process and i'll be donating later. Thanks a load.

MY
MasterYoda

Postby MasterYoda » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:23 pm

All worked wonderfully. Despite the software suggesting that it fixed many issues on the restore all my programs seem fine. None listed as failed, tried playing half a dozen with no issues. Upgrade to Darwin kicked in and although it took a while all was well.

Donation made.
MasterYoda

Return to Copy+ General Support