error locking and dismounting source drive

Any other questions about the software?

error locking and dismounting source drive

Postby rick2912 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:03 pm

Hi I am hoping you can help me. I am upgrading my 320gb hdd in my Amstrad 780 SkyHD box to a Western Digital 1tb drive.

Everything has been connected to my pc, and the 1tb drive initialised. The copy+ software is able to recognise both disks.

when i attempt to start the copy, a dialog box appears saying "The volume G: appears to be in use. Do you wish to continue?" - with G: being the original 320gb drive.

I say yes and then an error pops up saying "error locking and dismounting source drive"

I have no other programs running, and i have even tried running copy+ without explorer.exe process running with no luck.

Hopefully this is a simple fix. I am running windows 7 btw.

Thanks
rick2912

Re: Failure to lock

Postby pcbbc » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:19 pm

You DO have something else running on your PC which is accessing the drive. Most likely some system software such as anti-virus.
Even if you "turn off" your AV, many AV products contain a background component which monitors boot records and the like and sometimes this is not so easily disabled.
This is not a Windows 7 issue (Copy+ is know to run without issue on W7 both 32 and 64 bit).
Sorry, but it is difficult for me to help further as I do know what is installed on your PC. :oops:
pcbbc
Site Admin

Re: error locking and dismounting source drive

Postby rick2912 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:36 pm

Thanks for your quick reply. I have cancelled every process possible in windows. the bare minimum windows processes are running and I am still having a problem.

Indexing, search, all anti virus and firewall programs are off. not really sure what else could be accessing the drive.
rick2912

Postby pcbbc » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:04 pm

rick2912 wrote:Thanks for your quick reply. I have cancelled every process possible in windows. the bare minimum windows processes are running and I am still having a problem.

Indexing, search, all anti virus and firewall programs are off. not really sure what else could be accessing the drive.
NP - Check your services as well.
This most definitely is not normal for the vast majority of Windows 7 (or indeed any other OS) users of Copy+, and so must be down to some aspect of your PC.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby Joey » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:54 pm

Try running your PC in safe mode and see if copy+ works then
Joey

Postby rick2912 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:32 am

Hi all, thanks again for all your suggestions.

I have no idea what my Windows 7 install was doing, but nothing I did solved it, so did a quick xp install on a different drive and copy+ worked perfectly, although I assumed the xtvfs driver was needed, but it actually stopped copy+ working correctly. After I uninstalled it, the program worked perfectly.

Interestingly, after the copy was completed, it told me my original drive had some serious errors on it, even though it had been working perfectly. Will have to look into that.

Thanks again.

Rick
rick2912

Return to Copy+ General Support