Darwin software question and confusion

Any other questions about the software?

Darwin software question and confusion

Postby Mrbubba » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:08 am

Is the Darwin software only on the Sky + HD boxes?

I have an Amstrad HD box, and want to use copy+ to copy across recordings from my Thompson Sky+ box. My HD box is the new Darwin software, but no idea what my Sky+ box is.

I understand from research that both boxes used different hdd connection, the HD box being sata and the sky+ being pata, so I guess I would need a usb caddy that can do both??

Thanks for any assistance
Mrbubba

Re: Darwin software question and confusion

Postby pcbbc » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:19 am

Yes Darwin is HD only.
Please read the Darwin FAQ On the forum which answers all your questions about what is required to be able to transfer from SD to HD (basically destination must NOT have Darwin).
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby stuckinstandby » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:19 pm

(Thanks for activating my account Stuart)

pcbbc wrote:Please read the Darwin FAQ On the forum which answers all your questions about what is required to be able to transfer from SD to HD (basically destination must NOT have Darwin).

I just came on looking for this sort of information, but it seems to contradict the FAQ.

pcbbc wrote:For a disk of 1TB or less, it does not matter if the destination box does, or does not have Darwin. If it has Darwin your Copy+ed disk will automatically be upgraded to the new Darwin planner and disk format when the box first boots with the new disk.

So, every time a Darwin box boots does it check the disk format and perform an upgrade or does this only happen when it first boots Darwin?

My brother has a Thomson and is getting a new Amstrad and asked me if his programmes could be transferred.

Thanks
stuckinstandby

Postby Menorcaman » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:05 pm

Hi pcbbc,

Like stuckinstandby, I'm also confused. Some of the replies in the digitalspy forum (Thread 1490209) are adamant that you can Copy+ from a Sky+ SD receiver to a post Darwin Sky+ HD receiver. These contradict the statement in your Darwin FAQ, which says that you can only Copy+ between a Sky+ SD receiver and a pre Darwin Sky+ HD receiver.

So the question to you is - who is correct?

Regards
Menorcaman

Postby LondonChap » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:09 pm

Mrbubba wrote:Is the Darwin software only on the Sky + HD boxes?

Yes.

Mrbubba wrote:I have an Amstrad HD box, and want to use copy+ to copy across recordings from my Thompson Sky+ box. My HD box is the new Darwin software, but no idea what my Sky+ box is.

You Sky+ box is pre-Darwin.

Mrbubba wrote:I understand from research that both boxes used different hdd connection, the HD box being sata and the sky+ being pata, so I guess I would need a usb caddy that can do both??

Yes. They are not particularly expensive (~£25 or so).

When you copy the contents of your PATA HDD onto a new SATA HDD you will first have to put it into a pre-Darwin Sky+HD box (i.e. a Thomson) and boot it up. Then, and only then, you can put it into your newer Darwin HD box.
LondonChap

Postby LondonChap » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:18 pm

Menorcaman wrote:I'm confused .... Some of the replies in the digitalspy forum (Thread 1490209) are adamant that you can Copy+ from a Sky+ SD receiver to a post Darwin Sky+ HD receiver. These contradict the statement in your Darwin FAQ, which says that you can only Copy+ between a Sky+ SD receiver and a pre Darwin Sky+ HD receiver.

I can state categorically (having fallen "victim" to the problem ... and having worked around it) that :

You CAN copy from an SD box to a HDD and put it into a pre-Darwin (i.e. Thomson) box and it will work.

You can THEN put the HDD into a Darwin Sky+HD box and it will work.

(By "work" I mean that your recordings are successfully transferred).

If you try to put the HDD straight into a Darwin box without the intermediate step it will not work.

I've looked at the thread you mention. I can't see the point being made that Copy+ can copy from an SD box straight to a post Darwin HD box. Quite the converse - there is much talk (as here) that you have to go via a pre-Darwin HD box.
LondonChap

Postby 1qa2ws3ed » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:07 pm

are all thomson hd boxes pre-darwin?

any other makes pre darwin too?

and lastly anyone in or near leeds have a thomson or pre-darwin box i can borrow to do an sd to hd swap?

thanks
1qa2ws3ed

Return to Copy+ General Support