Networking

Having problems with +Extract? Ask in here

Networking

Postby pooky2483 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:17 pm

I am using an old pc which I can't/don't want to expand HD on which uses RAID connection. My new PC which is SATA has plenty od storage (2tb on 4HD's)
The Sky+ HD is RAID, hence using the old pc. I can't use +extract due to the fact I can't network with it, it just tells me it needs to be root C:\
Any chance of this being implemented in future versions?

Pete
pooky2483

Re: Networking

Postby neildo » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:16 am

So as I understand your problem is that only on the old PC you can extract from your Sky HD hard disk and there is insufficient storage on this old PC?

Create a share on the new PC (with the masses of storage) and on the old PC map a network drive to this new share, start +Extract on the old pc and select the network drive as the target to extract to.

Alternatively you could purchase a USB Sata dock from Maplin (what I use): http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=222999

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't feel the amount of work required to implement a client/server networking protocol would be of benefit.
neildo
Expert

Postby pooky2483 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:14 pm

Thats the problem, +extract crashes when I try using the network connection.
pooky2483

Postby neildo » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:32 pm

pooky2483 wrote:Thats the problem, +extract crashes when I try using the network connection.

I've never had a problem writing to mapped drive network shares.

Could you save the log and post it here?

Also, as this is more of a support query I'm moving to the Support forum.

neildo.
neildo
Expert

Postby pooky2483 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:54 pm

neildo wrote:
pooky2483 wrote:Thats the problem, +extract crashes when I try using the network connection.

I've never had a problem writing to mapped drive network shares.

Could you save the log and post it here?

Also, as this is more of a support query I'm moving to the Support forum.

neildo.

I've put the Sky+ HD back in the Sky Box and shut the old PC down.
Going to wait till later Monday as my Sky+ Box is faulty, I can't get a signal so a Sky engineer is coming rount to fix it.

Also, when I looked at the contents of the HD, there were Sky Anytime programs on it and I've not used Sky Anytime in ages AND they were films but I dont subscribe to the film channels. Are Sky using our boxes as P2P sharing without us knowing?

Pete
pooky2483

Postby kos129 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:04 pm

pooky2483 wrote:Also, when I looked at the contents of the HD, there were Sky Anytime programs on it and I've not used Sky Anytime in ages AND they were films but I dont subscribe to the film channels. Are Sky using our boxes as P2P sharing without us knowing?

No its not possible, the only way for sky boxes to send data is through the phone using a dial-up modem (and sharing a recoding though that would take years, and would tie up your phone line).Anytime does not only save programs your subscribed to; if you look on the anytime menu on your sky box you will see movies even if you don't subscribe (you wont be able to watch them though; only the preview will be viewable). This is a nice little advertisement for the movie package..
kos129

Postby pooky2483 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:27 pm

kos129 wrote:
pooky2483 wrote:Also, when I looked at the contents of the HD, there were Sky Anytime programs on it and I've not used Sky Anytime in ages AND they were films but I dont subscribe to the film channels. Are Sky using our boxes as P2P sharing without us knowing?

No its not possible, the only way for sky boxes to send data is through the phone using a dial-up modem (and sharing a recoding though that would take years, and would tie up your phone line).Anytime does not only save programs your subscribed to; if you look on the anytime menu on your sky box you will see movies even if you don't subscribe (you wont be able to watch them though; only the preview will be viewable). This is a nice little advertisement for the movie package..

I know, I can see ALL the Anytime listing but not WATCH the films as I'm NOT subscribed to the film channels but there are saved Anytime programs in there . I have NOT watched or saved anything from the anytime listing.
That said, how come there are Anytime programs saved to my Sky+ HD

Pete
pooky2483

Postby kos129 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:29 pm

pooky2483 wrote:I know, I can see ALL the Anytime listing but not WATCH the films as I'm NOT subscribed to the film channels but there are saved Anytime programs in there . I have NOT watched or saved anything from the anytime listing.
That said, how come there are Anytime programs saved to my Sky+ HD

Pete

Because that's how it works; every night your box records programs from a hidden channel to your sky+ hd hard drive. They do not use up any of the space displayed on your planner because roughly half of the hard drive had been marked as reserved for this purpose and the box will not allow you to use up more than half of the space (to leave space for the anytime recordings). The box will record all of the programs, even if you are not subscribed to them (hence why the movies are on there for you), you just wont be able to watch them.

The reason why the box has to record the programs every night is that there is no way for your box to request that a recording is sent to you (satellite is one way!), so it just has to get the whole lot and save it. Apparently sometime next year a full video on demand service will be released which uses the currently unused ethernet socket on Sky+ HD boxes to connect to the internet and download programs that way.
kos129

Return to +Extract General Support