Support Tools: Disk Image Utility

Precisely that. FAQs, hints and tips to help you out. This is a closed forum.

Support Tools: Disk Image Utility

Postby pcbbc » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:04 am

Attached is a utility for taking an image of the FAT partition on your Sky drive. The image file will allow me to investigate the problem/issue you have been having with Copy+.

It only takes a copy of the "normal" files on your disk, and does not copy any of the "video" files. This keeps the file sizes to a minimum - and besides the actual contents of the video are unimportant to running the copy process. The resulting image file is automatically compressed ready for mailing, although you can ZIP it as well if you like (it won't make much difference though).

Description:
Fat2Img - Takes an image of a FAT32 Sky+ partition. This allows me to inspect the contents of your drive, and also perform simulated copies of your disk and debug Copy+.

Instructions for use:
1. Unzip the attached file to C:\CopyPlus. You will need to create the folder C:\CopyPlus if it does not already exist.
2. Start a command prompt by selecting, Start, Run, and typing "cmd.exe" (without quotes) and then OK. For Vista you need an Elevated Command Prompt, see here.
3. In the command window type "CD C:\CopyPlus" (without quotes) and press ENTER
Please note that the next step assumes the Sky+ disk is mounted as disk 1 in disk management. If it is mounted as some other drive number, then replace the "1" with a "2" or whatever.
4. Run the utility by typing "FAT2IMG 1 DISK.IMG" (without quotes) and press ENTER
Or, if you have previously made a XTV image file with Copy+ you can back that up too by using the command "FAT2IMG IMAGE.XTV DISK.IMG" (without quotes). Note for this to work that the IMAGE.XTV file must be in the C:\CopyPlus folder as well.
5. Please contact me for details of how to get the image to me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Return to Copy+ FAQs, Hints & Tips