FAQs: PC/Windows Compatibility

Precisely that. FAQs, hints and tips to help you out. This is a closed forum.

FAQs: PC/Windows Compatibility

Postby Admin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:19 pm

Can I run Copy+ on Windows 95/98?

No, Sorry. Use an XP or Vista machine instead.

Can I run Copy+ on Windows NT / ME / 2000?

Windows 2000 apparently attempts to fix "errors" on the Sky+ drive on startup. There is an Microsoft Knowledge Base article (Q160963) which explains how to turn off disk checking on a per disk basis by using the CHKNTFS utility. You will have to modify the registry setting as described in the article, as CHKDSK will not allow you to specify a drive letter which is not currently installed on the system. Do not attempt modifying the registry unless you know what you are doing!

If Windows adjusts any files on your Sky+ drive before you can stop it, then under no circumstances should you return your drive to your Sky+ box. It is highly likely that Sky+ will see the adjusted recordings as invalid and simply delete them! Instead, contact us for advice.

Copy+ may also work on ME and NT, although we have not tested it. Please feel free to try it, and report back on your results. However, if it doesn't work, then we don't plan on fixing it.

Is there a UNIX / LINUX / Mac version of Copy+?

No, sorry. Copy+ is only available for PCs running Windows.

But I don't have a PC!

Beg or borrow one? Please don't steal - that would be wrong.

I have a laptop - So how do I connect my Sky+ drive to that?

You will have to use at least one external USB caddy, preferably two. In fact, this is what I use for developing Copy+ as it makes it very easy to swap drives in and out without rebooting my PC - It works very well, if a little slower.

What are these external USB caddies you keep talking about?

These are boxes which allow you to connect a hard disk to your PC or laptop via USB. They are obtainable from places like Maplin, PCWorld, E-Buyer and Dabs. Your local computer shop or favourite on-line retailer should have them too.

You can get caddies with and without a drive included. Obviously the ones that come with a drive are more expensive (and the drive may not be suitable for use in Sky+ anyway) - So we'd advise selecting a "bare" one. These are usually in the £20-30 bracket. Make sure you buy one which is USB 2 compatible, and it must support the appropriate type of drive: ATA, or sometimes called PATA (Parallel), for Sky+ and SATA (Serial) for SkyHD. Note that some caddies come with the option to add either PATA or SATA drives, which is just fine - very useful in fact.
Admin
Site Admin

Return to Copy+ FAQs, Hints & Tips