Samsung HDSKY 2008.oct

Need a guide to upgrading your box? Want to document your upgrade? - This is the forum for you!

Samsung HDSKY 2008.oct

Postby DJ-Nike » Mon May 31, 2010 2:10 pm

I recently upgraded my SkyHD box from a 300G to a 1TB drive, going from 53% free to 93% and here is how I did it.

Step 1 - Preperation
Turn the SkyHD box off and remove all cables connected to the back and take out your viewing card.
Give the box a minute or two to spin down, just to be on the safe side before continuing.

Step 2 - Getting Inside
Turn the box over keeping the font facing away from you and remove the screws (marked with a yellow circle).
There is one screw at the back of the box that needs to be removed and three screws from each side on the bottom of the box, once removed prise the clips of the cover away from the box about 1 or 2cm (marked with a yellow square).

Step 3 - Remove Cover
Turn the box back the right way up keeping the connections facing you and the front of the box away from you.
Lift the plastic case up slightly while pulling out from the back and away from you, the cover will become free and you can fully remove it from the box.

Step 4 - Remove Metal Lid
Turn the box round so that you now have the connections facing away from you.
Remove the screws on either side of the metal case, one on the left and one on the right (closest to the top marked with a yellow circle).
There is a small circuit board on the top of the case where the Power Button and TV Guide buttons are, remove the screw that is holding this down and let the circuit board hang loose over the front of the box.
Prise the lid of the metal case away from the rest of the case, you will notice that the front metal clips are on tight, I used a screwdriver to prise these away

Step 5 - Remove The Drive
Inside the case there is a hard drive housing with a fan attached to the main board by a power cable, unplug the connector first and make sure its plugged back in after you have upgraded.
Remove the screws in the posts holding the casing to the main board from each corner (marked with a yellow circle), unplug the hard drive and remove the housing away from the case.

Step 5 - Complete
The side of the housing has 4 screws holding the drive in place, remove these to free the drive from the housing. Now you can use this drive to copy your planner onto the new drive using the copy+ software.

Just follow the steps backwards to put your drive back in place and you should be up and running in no time.

Hope my details above make sense and are not conflicting with any others, I advise you have a basic understanding of how a PC works and what cables go where internally to help upgrade your SkyHD drive.
DJ-Nike

Re: Samsung HDSKY 2008.oct

Postby pcbbc » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:36 pm

Thanks!
A great guide with clear well annotated photos - well done. :D
pcbbc
Site Admin

Return to Box Upgrade Guides